Now I've gone and done it.

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by River Hobo, Aug 30, 2007.

1. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well, I came here looking for info on catfishing. I've caught catfish before while fishing for other fish but until yesterday I've never gone actually fishing just for cats. Yesterday evening I went out for a few hours until just after dark. I know the fishing is suppose to pick up then but I wasn't really perpared to be out there in the dark. I had my lantern but no glo stiks or bells or anything to make it easy enough to see the rod tips. I need to go on a little "CATFISHING" spending spree and gear up. But any way, I caught 1 channel cat 15' long and kind of thin on livers and had one big hit on cut bait but I missed it. Not real impressive but hay, I was happy for my first time out. I went again tonight, again a few hours before dark. First I caught a nice blue gill just bobbing a bare hook up and down in about a foot of water. These fish are so dumb they must have been put on earth just for bait.
    Set out one line with liver and one with the head of the gill. I wound up catching a 16" channel and a 12" bull head on the liver and once again missing a big hit on the cut bait. Next I put on the center cut of the gill.
    After a few minutes I got another hit. This time just slow steady pull not the slam I had before. I set the hook and started to reel, It was coming up slowly but surely, I could feel it moving so I new it was alive but not fighting like I hoped a big cat would. As I get it to the surface I see that it's a big ol' snapping turtle. It's shell was about as round as the opening in my 5 gal. bucket that I carry my gear in. Needless to say I let him keep the hook and cut the line as close to his face as I was gonna get and keep all my fingers.
    Time to put on the tail end of my sacrificial gill. That's when I did it. That's when I made that fateful cast that brought me over to the darkside.
    Hit. Hookset. Swimming. Now this is no turtle, this is what I thought it would feel like.

Looks like I'm the one that really got hooked on that cast.
    Now I can't wait to get out again and catch a REALLY BIG ONE. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    them turtles are good for nice fish there to welcome to the boc keep trying you will get your monster sooner then you think

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Mike - Congrats on the nice Channel Cat! :big_smile: Glad to see you have joined the ranks of those who pursue the whiskered fish! :wink: :cool2:

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Way to go Mike.Now You went and did it,Your HOOKED Big Guy.Congrats and thank's for the Picture. J.D.:big_smile:

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nice channel. What kinda hook are ya usein? Maybe we can determine why the losses. Keep swingin the bat.

6. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Congrats on your first decent cat Mike, now if you want to catch turtles this year I seem to be the turtle magnet:sad2: They are a pain in the butt! Unless of course you eat them, which I haven't yet,,,, yet:wink:

7. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats on the catch and welcome to the dark side:wink:.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Mike, you are now ruined.

Now, go get your wallet and welcome to the world of catfishing.:smile2:

9. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Great story Mike. Welcome to the dark side.

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Congrats Mike, that looks like some nice cat fishing water in the pic.

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tsk, tsk, tsk....:smile2: Congratulations. It won't be the darkside for long. This place will light up your life...:cool2:

12. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania
    Congrats on the catch. Nice fish. :big_smile:

13. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Great fish Mike. I know the feeling. Time to see how addictive catfishing is. You might find yourself out every night lol. Good Luck catching that big one.:0a23:

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't let those guys give you that dark side stuff. The sun is shining, and all is well with the world we want to forget about.

15. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    #1 Bait Holder. I should probably go bigger and I see a lot of people here use circle hooks. I use those for stripers guess I'll start using them for cats now too.

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Go as high as an 8/0 on the circle. With the hook ya was usein the point was more than likely gettin lost in the bait instead of the fish. LOL!

17. Cat Lady

Cat Lady New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Mike congrats on your catch. When u finally do lay in to that big one, it will be unforgettable. I'm sure we'll all know when u do:big_smile:

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike thanks for sharing your fishing trip and pics with us.Congrats on a nice channel. Doesn't it feel good to be hooked on fishing?:smile2: