Now I've Done It!

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Trapper John, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Trapper John

Trapper John New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Well, my very first post is a doofus story. I decided to take down my Abu 7000i for a thorough cleaning, and - you guessed it - now have a nice array of parts spread out on the desk. I got a schematic before starting, but it has only part numbers (no names) so bear with me:

#1116123, #1120199 and have me baffled. I can for the life of me get them positioned properly. Also, a little bitty spring that looks sorta like Mickey Mouse ears or a figure eight appeared out of no-where. I can't find anything that looks close to it on the schematic.

Does anyone have any experience reassembling this reel? I could sure use some advice. :eek:oooh:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I would suggest you google ABU schematics and increase the size to see where they go. Is there a repair dealer in your area? They would not charge you much to re assemble.:0a25::0a25::0a23:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,Look in the member library,There are pictorials on how to disassemble/reassemble Abu reels.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well now Trapper John I can't help you on the putting at reel back together but I can say WELCOME to the BOC. Kind of like you ,took a Penn apart and yep you guessed it.It's still in a plastic bag.:sad2:.Maybe someday :eek:oooh:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC John. Some one other than me will help you out I bet.

6. Trapper John

Trapper John New Member

State:
    Oregon
    First of all, thanks for the friendly welcome. It will be interesting to trade notes as I am a PNW sturgeon fisherman and will be reading posts and searching the archives for tips and ideas that may work out on the Columbia River. You know how easy it is to fall into the rut of fishing the same things in the same way, over and over. So I'll let you know if I come up with any innovations that I pick up from listening to you guys.

I did track down a schematic for the 7000i, but it is difficult to get the assembly order for some of the smaller parts from the diagram. I also took the advice offered and searched the library. The 7000 series is different enough from the 6500 so that the pictures that I have found are useful but don't bring me all the way home. I'm doing "trial and error" and may have to drive clear to Portland to a good repair shop. So, I'm not really worried about not getting the reel back together, but sure want to know how to be more self-reliant in the future.

I look forward to sharing some lies and stories! Thanks again for the welcome.

7. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
  8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC from sunny South Carolina. I've fished the mighty Columbia, and will say it's certainly a different world out there. Caught some fine silver salmon though! :)

Bill in SC

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC John, Good luck with your reel

10. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio, T/J.....there is a thread on Mike's board, going into your topic, complete with some clear photos.
    If you yahoo/ask/altavista/google Mike's Reel Repair, open, and work your way to the forum page, you will see the sub-topic entitled: baitcasting reels, where you'll see the thread on the latest 7i style reels, Hopefully it will help you.
    Best, KD

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    john you can depend on us for the swaping stories but us being catfishers we cant help you with the lies.catfishermen are the most honest folks around when it comes to telling the truth bout there catches.welcome to the boc and maybe you nedd to find,im still looking,a good reel repair man.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi John,
    I can't find that schematic anywhere,, but, let me know the one you're looking at or provide the foot #, I'll be happy to see if it makes any sense to me.. :tounge_out:

They sure work a lot better when they're assembled right!!:smile2:

13. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    I have, in a pdf file, the schematics for the 7000i, 7000i HSN, 7000iC3,
    7000i CS Pro Rocket, 7001i, 7000i LC (line counter), and 7000i Syncro.

They are one file, totalling about 600KB in length. Anyone who wants them can send me a wee note, and I'll send them to your e-mail.

Best, KD

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    is that a left handed reel?

Part # 1116123 rides on a boss attached to the backing plate under the side cover. the
    copper part goes on each side of the "cog" part of #1120198,, it should prevent backspin or revrsing of the crank handle

Part#1120199 looks like it has to do with the freespool. engagment ,,, Not sure.. would need the parts in front of me to figure that out... I may have a reel like that, will look at it and see, in a day or 2...

The little spring you're talking about,,, does it look kinda like a smooshed mosquito? little tiny thing?.. If it is,, is might be the little spring that holds the clicker button on, and helps with the rebound of the slicker arm...

hard to tell without the parts,,, hope this may help..

15. Bassman13

Bassman13 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    John,

I will walk you through putting your reel back together.

Tommy (Bassman13)

16. Trapper John

Trapper John New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Boy, when you holler for the cavalry on this site they come a-runnin'!

Sorry I didn't post back sooner. I left the reel alone for a while, took another look at the schematic, thought about the little "squashed bug" spring - and bang! it all came together. The reel works fine and my granddaughter brought a thirty-eight inch sturgeon to the boat with it last week. Keepers have to be a minimum of forty-two inches and a max of sixty inches.

I've got to get my posts up in order to be able to PM, even in reply. That's why Greg never heard back from me. So I'll be watching for your posts, everyone, and since I now understand that I am in the presence of truthful fisherman I will try to keep my exaggerations to a minimum. Umm, most of the time. Usually.

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good deal John,, sounds like it worked out just right!!

I learned a lot and got some good info from Ken,,, regrding this problem,,,, I always appreciate getting some new info, schematics, etc,