now im real hot

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by JERMSQUIRM, May 19, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well the mccolluch that had the loose carb,lol. the red lock tight wont be a problem. i started it friday afternoon. it died 2 min later. third pull rope broke. i took the recoil apart. wound new rope in. pulled and the second or third it stuck. re done. then it stuck again. took back open spring blew out. i havs since smashed it. sent mccolluch a big letter via e-mail with pics of the new junk saw.

going to by one today. echo i think. there warrenty far exceeds stihl.

i suppose ill get a sorry screw you from mccolluch. i told then if the lemon saw wasnt taken care of my lifes ambition would be to make sure everyone i met with power equiptment would hear my story. supose it wont matter.

there junk. i asked them if the ceo lived in tiawan and why they sold out. they used to make a quality product.:angry:

and 15 m in into cutting with the poulen it vaperlocked. and did the same on saturday at my uncles while taking down a 50'er. he went to but a saw because his crafstman saw thats less the 10 hours on it didnt run good either. he got an 18"echo $329 on sale with case 300hr engine and 5 year warrenty. stihl only has 70 on motor. and it cut like a mad man.

looks like echo is gonna be my new brand. tired of these cheap toss aways.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like you had a real fun Weekend. Never did like Mc Colluch products.Too hard to START!!
    Hope you got it all lined out now.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    SOUND'S LIKE IT'S BUD TIME

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'D BE HOT TOO!!!!!:angry: Thats a load of BS!!!!:angry:
    Hopefully the new one will work out better for you, I hate that you've went through this crap bro!!!

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    i had a old McCulloch that would cut good all day long, problem was it took most of the day to start it. lol

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    you ever considered a husky? i have worked with all of the brands you mentioned and husky is far and away my favorite. the old mc culloughs were tuff as nails to get started, but once they were runnin' you couldnt stop them. the poulan's... i had bad luck with them. i liked the stihl's but like you said, they dont have a good warranty. echo allways seems to make a better climbing saw, but i dont climb anymore. husky, for what i do with them, has been extremely reliable.

jm 2 cents. hope it works out.

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have owned a few Echo saws in my day, darn good saws in my opinion. When I go to buy a new saw I just pay attention to what most of the tree trimmers are using, thats a good indicator of how good a saw is. For those guys, if it dont work, they aint makin money.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the full story is on the new tecnology produces junk thread. on the new mccolluch.

this is a new one. not even 20 hours on it. very easy to start. when it did.:angry:

no havent ever owned a husquvarna tool yet. if they cant match a 5 year backing i prob wont buy one. the big rs here is a stihl and echo dealer. and stihls have the primer bulb. i really dont want one with those. the echo doesnt. and has a METAL handle and off switch unlike the cheapes.

i need a reliable saw with good backing. i dont just cut limbs once a year.:smile2:

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    heres the pics i sent to the company. the saw isnt even scratched or stickers worn.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sorry for he bad luck Jerm. I am considering the echo also, asked about it on here a while back..looks like a well built saw with decent reviews. Good Luck buddy.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    Husqvarna Chainsaw Model 55 - Colored Orange But Should be Lemon Yellow
    Written: Aug 22 '02 (Updated Sep 29 '02)

Product Rating:
    Pros: Powerful

Cons: Unreliable, hard to start, hard to keep started, consistent breakdown

The Bottom Line: I do not recommend the Husqvarna Chain Saw due to its consistent failure of hard long starts, no starts, and parts failure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mountainhigh's Full Review: Husqvarna Chain Saw Model 55
    Based on various recommendations and the supposedly good reputation of Husqvarna, we bought the Husqvarna Chainsaw, Model 55 Rancher (Farm Tough) a few years ago. This particular model was the only model on sale at the time and had the engine power that my husband needed. This was our first chainsaw as we had just moved to timber country.

It worked fine for the first month, felling trees and cutting timber how it was supposed to.

Then the problems of trying to start it became an issue. We took it in on several occasions to the shop during the warranty period, and one time I was told by the shop when I went to pick it up that the muffler was backwards and that the problem was fixed. My husband had a good laugh with that one, because he never touched the muffler and if it was in fact backwards, then we had bought it that way. The starting problem was never solved under the warranty because it would finally start; therefore, no manufacturer's defects according to the warranty repair shop.

After the warranty ended, we took it in once again due to the same starting problems except with an additional problem of once it did start, it would not stay on. We were told the recoil starter spring needed replacement. Geez, I wonder why they did not replace this part while it was under warranty. Parts and labor were $60.00.

It worked once again for a few weeks and once again the problem of starting it became an issue again.

My husband would yank and yank until his arm became sore trying to get it to start. He decided to tear it apart himself, tune it, and replace the recoil starter spring again.

At Christmas, we went to a Christmas tree farm and found a tree we wanted and once again the chain saw would not start. In fact, the starting pull cord broke this time. It was snowing, and of course my husband was quite upset and called the chainsaw a few well-chosen names as he tromped back to the office to get a handsaw.

This time we took it to a different shop and we were told that it was not worth fixing and they would just be fishing trying to figure out all the problems. That cost us $50 for the non-diagnosis problem. It was suggested to us that we would be better off to buy a new one. While there, we noticed that the shop was packed with Husqvarna chain saws in for repair. In fact, it was so loaded with the Husqvarna chain saws, the person had a hard time finding ours and we had to point out which one was ours because we recognized the box we had delivered it in.

We became weary with all the problems and decided to cut our losses and bought a John Deere chain saw.

Our Husqvarna chain saw is now resting in pieces in the garage. My husband has not decided if he is going to try to fix it again or just toss in the garbage.

one review on husky.

sounds like my last saw. :smile2:

i just looked at stihls warrenty info. 1 year only on residential saws.

echo oferes 5 year on consumer non money making operations.

didnt make it today but im going tomorrow to get one. i fired up my poulen today. it was much cooler out and cloudy. the saw ran fine all afternoon cutting some logs i got from my neighbor on saturday. only vaporlocks when its warm.:confused2:

heres the saw im looking into. same as my uncle got. i tried to buy his after we cut the big tree down. lol. i offered him $50 less than he paid. wouldnt go for it. comes with 18" bar and can take a 20. witch oll be putting on it. theres one just one step up that is a recommend firewood saw. may go there. depends on price. there on sale.

http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=CS-440&Category=CHAINSAW

12. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I worked at a saw mill for about 10 years before I joined the Army back in 1985. I ran every kind if chain saw you can think of. The Mac was always a pain to start and never really like the hand brake system. We had a Echo and a Stihl that would cut circles around any other saw we had. The only thing that I did not like about them was they were a couple of pounds heavier then the Mac. I know this don't sound like much but after 6-8 hours a day it feels like 100 lbs.

PS. You could not give me a Homelite even to run over with the truck.

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    !/2 the time a warrenty aint worth the paper its wrote on-sthill-huskavarna saws are probably the best and I know echos are good too I use to butcher trees and we used the hell out of sthils- think Id be a lill ticked to.

14. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    well jeremy you got me on the 55 models. i never really used one that small. all of our climbin saws were echoes, and on the ground we mainly broke out the big guns. like the old 268's and larger.

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The Husquavarna I bought is a Model 350 52 cc 18" bar. It is a light weight saw and a cutting fool. It has that rubber bubble prime bulb, and a compression release. Starts the first pull with the choke out. Sometimes it quits when I'm backing off the choke, but starts right up on the second pull.

It is the best saw I have ever owned. Weight is a factor with my old butt and this thing is light. 349.99 at Tractor Supply, not on sale, regular price. I have ran about 3 gallons threw this saw and love it. I cut twice as fast as I ever could with my Poluns and Macs.

I'm not sure what the warrenty is, It says Made in Sweden on the saw. Good Saw.

Jeremy, I would get at least a 50 cc saw or better. These new saws weigh less at 52cc than the old 35cc saws did. I mean they have B*LLS. Cuhonas.

Hey I was looking at my price tag and Tractor Supply had a 3 yr warrenty for 49.99 and a 4 year for 69.99 on the back of the tag, they wanted to sell.

The main thing with chain saws is to use the right oil mix with good oil and use a good oil on the bar. Rotella 15-40 works great. Diesel oils have high detergents, so your chain is always shiney clean, no tree sap build up. Use a good grease on the tip each time you fill her up. I use Drydeene Purple or Castrol purple, both the same grease. Castrol bought out Drydene.

16. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jeremy, that looks to be an updated version of the last Echo's I had back in the 80's when I was doin alot of cuttin for myself and to sale. I had 2 440evl's, man those were good runnin saws. If its half as good as the one I had, I'm sure you will be tickled pink. Now days all I need is a 16" yard saw to cut up tree droppins so I can mow, LOL. Good luck.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well man first let me say it was real nice buying a nice piece of equiptment from a store that had a salesman that knew more than the price under the box.

i discussed stihls and echos with the fella. he didnt look much over 30. about my age. but he knew what he was selling.:big_smile:

we atlked about my needs not what he wanted to sell. i told him i cut wood alot. probably 1-2 weekends a month or every other for fire wood. not tree pruning. told him my troubles with the pouelan and mccolluchs.

he basically laid it on the line. the echo i was intrested in. he compared it to the stihl. the stihl came with a 16" bar echo with std 18". the sthil was a class c homeowner motor. basically he said that the motors were built to last 100 hours. the 440 echo was a pro line motor and was a 300 hr motor. the stihl had 1 year warrenty. the echo. 5 years and lifetime on the ignition. the stihl was $329. no case. came with tool for chain adjustments. echo came with case tool allen wrench and small driver to adjust carb and spare chain. they carry only stihl oilomatic chains. they were out of my size. i have a voucher for a free one.

he said if i wanted a 300 hour rated stihl i needed to go to the big end of the mid range or a small pro line saw. and $400+ to touch one of them.:smile2:

well no brainer to me. now i aint saying stihls are not as good. but he said that up to the range i was looking at echos were better as far as motors and price. but after them the stihls got better in price and power.

im happy as of now. im covered in chips. this thing throws chips 6 foot in the air.

heres my saw.the echo 440 45cc 18"

as far as oil mix. im only using echo oil. warrenty voids if you dont. im playing by the rules. and he filled me up with chail oil and gas too.:big_smile: and a 1 gallon mix oil bottle too to mix the next gallon. hell the tank of gas was worth a $5 bill.:big_smile:

18. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Long story short. If you buy the equipment from a real dealer,(not home improvement stores) you are not getting a "real" saw.
    I've used (for a living) huskys and stihils alike. Both are great saws and my dealers stood behind them,even after the warrenty. I NEVER dealt with a Chain store headquartered somewhere else.
    PS; I weighed a husky from Lowes and mine. Mine from a husky dealer was 1,1/2 LBS heaver. Makes you wonder why metal weighs more than plastic. Maybe thats why Lowes was 60. bucks cheaper.
    I've owned about 12 different huskys and never had one with a primmer bulb.Can't stand them bulbs.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i hear ya. the lil green weanie poulan i have. i dont know the exact deatils. im not a mechanic but after 15-20 min on warm days that bulb goes dry and she wont fire. got to let it cool in the shade. then shell fill and run again for 15-30 min.

i was pleased with the sale. it was nice. he told me how to clean the spark arrestor screen, adjust chain oil flow, and knew about the product. my uncle got the same saw sunday. the guru wasnt there. this was a big r's. he said the guy had no idea and he didnt get an extra chain either.

one small detail i want to go back about. my uncles had the stabilizer teeth on the saw. mine didnt. he gets em i want them.:confused2:

20. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats a nice looking saw Jeremy. I hope it holds up well for you. I like your bag too, all I got was a plastic thing to protect the bar.