novice question - reel help

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by jstewart335, Aug 24, 2009.

1. jstewart335

jstewart335 New Member

State:
    WA
    Hello,
    I'm having trouble with the re-assemble of my shakespeare usp4135 reel.
    I have the schematic but that only tells me where the parts go... i need help with the placement of the parts.
    My problem is the bail spring... I just can't seem to get it back in it's working position.
    I've included 2 photos of my reel... the bail spring is longer on one end, shorter on the other. Both ends of the spring are bent at 90 degrees, facing the opposite way. It seems to fit with the plastic as i have it in the photos, but i don't remember the longer end hanging out like it is...
    Next to the bail spring is the "Z" shaped piece, which i think i have placed correctly... it is able to slide up and down. (Only the top end is visible in my pics because i have the gold plate screwed on.)
    Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    It looks like the long end should go behind the gold piece. I don't see how it would go in the bail arm. Usually there will be a little hole for the end to go in.

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    The spring would have to fit into the plastic bail part to enable the bail to snap closed and stay there. I'd say the tang goes in the small hole on the piece with the bail but how it has to tension I don't know from the pictures.

4. jstewart335

jstewart335 New Member

State:
    WA
    hey thanks guys!
    got the reel back together and working for the most part... still having trouble with the Reverse On/Off lock. It seems to only lock while the bail is open...