Novice needs advice-'57 Johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fishnfool68, Jun 10, 2006.

1. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I fixed-up an old V bottom from a field and paired it with an '57 Seaking(johnson)12hp.I know little to nothing about outboards,but
    I have an automotive background.The motor sat in the garage for atleast 12yrs.I replaced the fuel lines,plug,and water pump and it ran good for the first 2/3 times out. The last time after running awhile it was cutting out like it wasn't getting gas.I had to run full throttle to get back to the ramp.It has a new tank/set up.What do you think the problem could be?I've read some horror stories on here,and the last thing I can afford is to ruin this motor.So what should I do to this motor before taking it fishing?I have lubed the lower end and I sprayed out the carb before taking it out.However, if I need to have the work done for me,what should I expect to pay to have it done by a respectable shop?Haveing ran auto repair shops I understand the damage that a do-it-yourselfer can do,in ignorance.Thank you in advance for your advice.

2. Does this one have a fuel pump on the motor or is it the one with a two line pressurized tank?
    The pressure tanks can be a problem on these if the gasket on the cap gets worn. Another area is the two small O-rings at the motor connection. These are going to be hard to find. It takes a special size and type. The ones in the hardware store are close but will not work. Check your hoses as well.
    I would look at the points if the tank is eliminated.
    What mix are you running? The plug may be fouled so pull it and clean it.
    Check the needle valve and seat as well.
    Just some things to check off the top of my head. Good luck.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do a spark and compression test before going any further.

You might find problem under the flywheel with the coils, points and condensers.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Listen to bob he is not only good lookin but smart. If you put enough oil in the thing it should still have compression. It won't have a lot compared to new motors but you can tell if it was damaged by the results.

I have had more problems with a pressure tank than I would believe. I got a rebuild kit from a guy on ebay. Rememeber the seals in everything are 39 years old. Mine wouldn't run nice the seals in the needle valves went bad and it wouldn't idle.

I don't know that many shops will help you on this one. Maybe if you find the right one.

5. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I'll have to see if I can get hold of some gages to check compression.I'll check all the connections again on the fuel lines,and check the plug.I'll get back to you guys as soon as I can. Thank you so much for your input.