November fishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jayjay101, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jayjay101

jayjay101 New Member

State:
    narth carolina
    how is the catten in november on santee will try to get down about thankgiving any info would be helpfull . thank

2. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    November can be great, but as the water cools the fish start bunching up more and are not as scattered as warm water months. If you can find em you can catch em.

3. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    should be easier this year cause there's a whole lot less water for em to hide in...good luck!

4. young fisher

young fisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    thuis year we havn't had much rain so they should not have a lot of places to hide

5. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    nov,dec ,jan it dont matter ,any time a good time to go cat fishing

6. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'm with Bruce. Flatheads are famous for their fall feed, better be on the water.

7. BrianD

BrianD Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just want to hear some different opinions from you guys. For me, when the water cools down, we anchor more figuring we can catch more than one or two in the same spot. It seems like from the threads I read that most of you guys who know what your doing down there drift almost all the time. What am I missing in my thinking here?

8. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

first of all i'm not gonna claim that i know what i'm doing...i personnaly enjoy drifting more than being anchored so i tend to drift most all the time...it also depends on the lake of course of which i'm fishing as to whether or not i'll drift or anchor...i would say yes you can catch fish all year long by drifting but in my own personal expierence it seems like if you anchor you have a better chance of boating a huge fish...i'm not saying you can't get a monster fish by drifting but for me it just seems like i catch the really big fish while anchoring.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    2 months ago I would have agreed with you Craig but in the last few months I have broken my PB for flatheads(60#) and blue(40#) and both came from drifting. Drifted with Roundhill the other night and got a 41# flathead also, but like you said it does depend on the lake. I am hooked on drifting and I dont see me stopping. It is a great way to locate fish but you do seam to have to contend with more smaller fish but as long as those rods a re loading up I am happy. Like Craig said this is just my opinon.

10. BrianD

BrianD Member

State:
    North Carolina
    James do you ususally fish the upper or lower lake

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    For Lake Moultrie in my opinion driftin is hands down the best way of fishin this time of year.Each year the flathead fishin gets better and better in Moultrie and they are gettin caught along with big blues by driftin.Only time I anchor on Moultrie is from January to April but the rest of the year its driftin for me.

Havin said that I wouldnt say driftin is the best thing to do on every lake in every month.I'm a firm beleiver that to be able to go to any lake anywhere in the country and catch fish you need to have 2 good anchors and a drift sock.In other words be ready to do both until you find the pattern.

Driftin aint the answer to everything and anchoring aint the answer to everything.You can and will get skunked doin both, trust me I know.For me theres been alot of times when one wouldnt workin and the other was and then times where nothin has worked no matter what you do.Just try to get good at both and you might want to learn how to make dynamite as the 3rd option.:smile2:

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think option 3 would of worked for me last nov. in the hills event.:smile2: really i drift all the time in the lower lake but we couldnt get no good fish last nov. but the guides was back drifting in that calm water and catching some nice ones that same day. when that water gets slick im finished! need to learn to back drift with the motor running i guess as option number 4.:wink:

13. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i whould like to tell a story when i was a little boy yes one time ni was small an young we fished fontania to eat it was a job to get up early to catch bate but no meet for dinner in the winter no bate brim was hard to get when its 20% we used dynomite dont throw it up the river it will wash back but thats how i learned to drift fish stay in holes its a whole lot easyer to drift thrue them than wate 10 holes are better than one get the pont if you dont drift you might not eat so all fat boys drift.see you soon .ron howard

14. BrianD

BrianD Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys for all of your opinions. I wanted to add to you Chris that we had kind of the same luck last year. I also fished that Hills Tourn. last year and that first day we couldn't do anything. We drifted the upper lake through the woods and anchored some also and only caught one small flathead. That night though and the next morning before the weather got real bad we boated five nice flatheads and those were all caught anchoring off the trees in the upper lake. Problem was that with that being essentially a ten fish tournament, since there is a five fish weigh in the first day also, shooting a blank on that first day killed us.

15. BrianD

BrianD Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm sorry, I said Chris. That was Michael that made the comment about the Hills tourn. last year.

16. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    drifting usually works best for me but every situation is different. good luck