November catfishing trips

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by s_man, Nov 10, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I've been out looking for flat & channel cat wintering holes this month. Sat. the 3rd I went out with catfishRollo and my buddy Jim. Rollo caught one flat, Jim caught 2 flats, and I caught a flat and a channel. Those two caught the largets flats an 8lb for Rollo. And a 10lb for Jim, which was his first ever flat, his personal best flat, and first winter flat lol. Most were caught on cut shad, (I caught one 3lb flat on a live white bass.) All these trips were durring the daytime because its just too cold to motor around and fish after dark.

Tuesday the 6th, I went out above Zanesville and caught 8 channels. I fished from 12:30pm till 5:30pm. It was cold with spotty rain and wind gusts up to 17 to 20 MPH. I caught 4 in the 3 to 4lb range and one 10 pounder, the rest were just a bit over prefered bait size lol. (Big Squealers).

Wednesday the 7th I met up with the loanwizard and fished the entire stretch from the Philo dam to the Rokeby dam. We caught 3 channels all under 3 pounds. Shawn caught 2 and me one lol.

I plan on going out this tuesday and hit a stretch farther south. They are out ther guys, you can catch them if you just get off the couch LOL. We need more guys fishing this winter so we can build up a database of winter cat info. So get out there and post your results lol.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they are there. i don't like the temp. change though. some years have been productive others not. im afraid the water temps. plummeted really quickly this year. still catching small ones, not anything like last couple yrs.....rollo

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That's just the kind of info we need to catalog. Mild winters produce more big fish, fast temp. drops in the fall, slow the fishing down. Or does it mean the temp dropped faster than the flats could gather in their prefered wintering holes. After the first week of cold water they should all start gathering together.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the fish will be there. i think a fast drop in water temperature just slows their metabolism so quickly, you go from an active feed for the winter to a slowed bite that has you wondering where they are. the fish are there, and holed the same, just not as active. thats when you really have to key on there whereabouts, dropping small baits like cuts in front of them. they aren't gonna move far. vertical jigging! moving baits slowly around the wintering hole, is the method im practicing now! rollo

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Something I noticed last week when we were set up on that hole, We sat for over an hour with only one bite, then I casted 15 or 20 ft farther and we all caught fish in that area. It just lets us know that they will not move very far to take a bait. You have to get your bait within 3 to 5 ft of the flatheads or they will ignore you. There may be a larger window than that, but I know for a fact they wont move 15 ft to pick up a bait lol.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree. it seems as if you catch one in a certain area, you need to get another bait back to the same spot, often catching 2 3 or 4 more. they tend to really group together in these holes late, pretty much stacking on top one another...rollo

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you guys are on it, keep up the good work.

something i have noticed is ,like said ,the location with in a hole. summer they are much more active and caught in the front or even out in front of the "hole". when it gets cold ,i seem to locate them more at the back of the core of a "hole". also i have noticed that one hole we fish is good, on the outside bend side of the hole, in warm water. in cooler water they seem to prefer the inside side of the bend hole. did that make sence? lol there is also the cut vs live thing too.

ill be watchin to see how your jiggin goes rollo, good luck.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have 3 or so wintering holes. one is awesome usually. the others are consistent.. i have seen the difference in the three. i will say.. they may want to go to the inside bend because there is less current. i have been fishing many different places late in the year for a while, and can say the holes that are not associated with the main channel and current have been better....rollo

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Are you guys telling me that you can still fish for them now?

The hole I fished all fall, will that be thier wintering hole?

I have monday off and I'm starting to get some crazy ideas. I may go get some pike shiners and give it a try. I may just get a channel too.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Go out and try that hole Blacky. Live shiners or creek chubs, and cut shad if you can get any will work. Some days they prefer one over the others. And yes you can catch them now, I'm going out again tuesday. We are fishing durring the daytime also not at night. The bite seems to stop when the sun goes down. I like the cut shad because you have to search the entire hole to locate where they are staging and I can move cut bait around easier and re cast it better than live bait. Plus I change the cut bait every 15 to 20 minutes to keep the scent up. Channels are more active and will move farther to take a bait than flatheads will. If you can't find them in that same hole you gotta try some others if you can. But once you find a wintering hole you can almost bet they will use it year after year unless flooding changes the hole too much. Anyway good luck, looking forward to your report lol.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You the man!, Skip!

What's your thought on cut sucker?

Thanks a million!

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yeah skip whats your take on suckers? i know that cats of all kinds like suckers. in my opinion i would opt for a smellier bait if i could get it. strong smelling baits like chubs skippies and shad. cant go wrong with more stink, eh.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Y'all are WAYYYYYY out in front of me. I've located 2 of my own holes to try to take pressure off of someone elses hard work, and I have noticed the back of the hole deal. I haven't started the vertical jig but am thinking about it with one of my 12 footers with a soft tip.

One thing I did do, although catching mostly channels right now (temp47) is start using a bass type rod with 15 lb test. Those taps on my 7 foot Medium action went from tap tap to taking the bait and really bending the rod.

Will have more on that on Wednesday. Gonna try to jig and line up with smaller rods. May try for a flattie or two, heck maybe even some Saugeye.

Regardless, I am having a blast.... imagine... I am fishing in mid November.... and getting bites.... and catching fish!

In fact, I am catching more in each trip now than I do in the summer!

Plus I am not losing any sleep!

Ahhhh! Life is good!

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Anything you can catch you should use cept gar lol. Suckers either live or cut is just as good as shad. Plus this time of year you can use smaller live baits 3 to 6 inches. Like Shad, gills, suckers, shiners, baby bass. If its small and easy to swallow ( especially the slender cigar shaped baits like suckers ) will get noticed. Just try not to limit yourself to just one kind of bait. I haven't tried nightcrawlers but if you have any in the fridge from last month its worth a try. I like to use at least one live bait if I find a spot where I don't have to move. But for searching cut bait is tops. I just got home. After work I drove to Dillon to get shad, I got about 8 to 10 lbs lol. Three of those fish are over 15 inches long lol. I'll be heading out after I change the oil in the truck.

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    where ya heading brother? rollo

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    It's a super secret spot, which if it pans out I might have to take to my grave lol.

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that a boy! lol:smile2: rollo

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Well I must say a had a great day/night of catfishing. I went out tuesday the 13th of november. The high was 64 degrees it was sunny and pleasant. I stayed till 6 am the next morning cause I knew this would be the last of the warm weather for the year. So I ended up spending 17 hours on the river. I caught over 25 catfish, 3 small flatheads 4lb and under. The rest were channel cats, But They were some nice ones. The largest went 9 - 10 lbs, with the bulk in the 5 to 7 lb range. There were no squealers in this hole. I was getting so many hits I couldn't keep a line in the water for awhile. Couldn't even keep up with cutting up shad lol. Twice I got double hook-ups and had to set both rods (one in each hand) then stand on the butt of one while reeling in the other lol. The first time they were both 7 lb fish. It was awesome. I haven't caught that many quality channels ever before. The 10 pounder was long and thick, and looked like he had eaten a nerf football. His belly was distended and full, looked like those pictures I see of giant blue cat bellies lol. All of these fish were well fed , fat and full of fight. I tried several areas deep shallow slack current ....etc. But the only place that I caught lots of good fish was were the current hit the bank and veered downstream. I had no luck in the slack water. Was using cut shad for bait.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it was a good day on the river. i wish i could have went for a day/all night trip.. but work had me tied from that one the following day. thanks for the invite though. would be nice to get some more good weather, but im affraid your right. im sure we will fish again soon though. anyways, congrats skip....rollo:big_smile:

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I also caught 5 smallmouth and one largemouth on a white roadrunner, all were only bait size though. I plan on taking more bass baits if I go again. LOL I was marking large fish on that ledge where I caught the small ones, I didn't catch any catfish there, so I'm thinking big river bass LOL.