Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

NOVA Night fishing

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  music4cash 
#1 ·
I got a chance to take my nephew fishing a couple days ago when we had that little warm up. We had a great day catching carp on four mile run. He mentioned that he wants to try night fishing for cats. He's 9 and my sister won't let me take him on a boat. She's worried because he can't swim. So does anyone know a decent place to night fish from the bank? I usually fish the occoquan reservoir but all the access points I know close at sunset.

#3 ·
Year round I pretty much only fish during the day. Mostly because I don't know any good bank spots I can get to at night. My main goal in finding a spot we can fish at night is to have a good time with my nephew. We won't go until it gets warm, I have no desire to sit up all night in the cold...I think you are allowed to night fish at Burke lake if you park in the fishing access lot. Does anyone know if this is true?

#8 ·
I'm just going to say this and then I'm out of this conversation:
The decision about learning something that could possibly help save his life should not be left to a nine year old.
This is a tough one for you Jeff as it seems you just want to do right by the lad and take him fishing.
Good luck to both of you.
...W

#9 ·
I'm his uncle, not his parent. If I wanted to raise a kid I'd have one of my own. The beauty of being an uncle, is that you only have to do the fun stuff. I'll let my sister and my brother in law handle the swimming thing. He wants to go night fishing for his birthday, so I just need to find a spot for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.