Nov. 23, 2007 post

Discussion in 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University' started by Mac-b, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    In my Fall/Winter thread I imformed you brothers and sisters that this was the time to get yourself a trophy blue. Well, was I right or what!

Since them tomahawk has caught a 60 plus pounder and this week a 75 pounder.

Karl Emerson and Jerry Hilderbran went to the James River and got a 78 +- pounder.

Brother Price has caught some trophy cats in Tenn., Mtn. Island and LKN.

A fellow from the Piedmont caught a 75 pound blue (not verfied by me,yet) on LKN a couple of weeks ago.

Killentime and his partner caught a 40 to 50 pounder on Badin Lake a couple of weeks ago.

Catfishrus caught a nice blue on Badin a couple weeks ago.

Gearhead has caught some trophy fish in the past week or two.

CMJ has caught some trophy fish in the past week or two.

I'm sure I left someone out, maybe they will reply.

These are just the Piedmont North Carolina guys, not counting what the guys in the Piedmont section of South Carolina have caught. Did they have to put up with the wind and the cold to get these trophy cats, you bet they did and I will bet you that they are glad they did.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Listed below are a few things you should do for your gear until spring.

Turn your star drag all the way to the left. This takes pressure off of the brake. This applies to both level wind reels and spinners.

Put a drop of two quality oil in your reel (button at center of reel/free line pressure button), also put some oil or grease on your level wind. Open the back plate on your spinner and clean (remove old grease if it had harden or become stiff) and put some approved lube on your gears.

Store your rod and reel in a vertical postion. Some rods if you lean them will take on the character of the lend. Store in a dark, but dry place.

Take your tackle box out of the boat and store it in the garage of basement. That way it will not get stolen and the hooks will not rust due to the winter dampness.

Take your batteries out of the boat if you store it on land. Check them for fluid and store them. This will keep them from freezing and also avoid thief.

Take your life jackets and throw cushion out of the boat and store in a dry place. If left to the external forces, they will dry rot.

Remove your sonar/GPS and store in a secure place, you don't want someone stealing that baby!

Spray some WD-40 or something similar in you female and male electrical connections.

Lube your trailer hitch lock and grease your boat trailer hubs.

After you have taken care of the above, every so often, check in on the BOC to see what is going on during the winter and watch all the fishing shows that you can.