Notre Dame???

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by Blacky, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Have been a Irish fan all my life. Growing up in Indiana in the 80's and 90's, you certainly didn't root for Indiana or Purdue when it comes to college football.

Do you think Charlie Weiss is gonna get "canned" like Tyrone Willingham and Bob Davie? What happened?

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I do believe so. I grew up in IN (South Bend) and my folks still live there. Went to school at IU. I go home every summer and flathead the Wabash. Looks like a bad year for ole ND. They do seem to "can" coaches don't they?

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I'm a Notre Dame fan and they're having a really bad year, this will be their rebuilding year but no Charlie won't get canned, he's a good coach, these things just take a little time, he's just now starting to get some of the players that he's recruited. Don't expect much from ND this year but hopefully in the near future they'll get it together.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    They cant afford to can Charlie.The buy out of his contract would cost more than renting the Pittsburg Steelers for the next 7 games,which would be the more preferred option.:smile2::big_smile::crazy:

5. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am in Alabama so not real familiar with the ND program other than tv games. I know it has rich history and sometimes that can be a bad thing. I am an Auburn fan and it is the same way down here. Fans are so quick to dog a coach for not winning as much as the season before. They want that winning tradition to never stop. Fact is you WILL have down years. Young players, new recruits, players injured and your roster is not that deep. I think they should give him time, BUT, Its hard at a tradition rich school. War Eagle

6. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man they look bad just being honest.Thats why I think Brady Quinn must be one Helluva quarterback to make them look like a good team the last couple years.I dislike the Browns alot but I think they got a good rookie QB.

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Go blue!! lol.......

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    When are they gonna fire Charlie Weiss?

Losing to both Navy and Air Force is unexcuseable.

My alma mater Indiana University has a better record.

On a brighter note, Jimmy Clausen reminds me of Brady Quinn when he started as a freshmen.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seeing as how it was ND which snapped OU's winning record, I can truthfully say I don't care very much for that program. LOL. The thing I detest the most about their program is the way the lawyers or the pope or someone got their fix in the BCS so they go to a bowl if the finish in the top 8, they get a million, I think it was, even if they don't qualify for any bowl (like this year), and their ABC contracts. Talk about having an unlevel field to play on, theirs is defenetly tilted in their favor.

10. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I have to agree with you again Mr. Wise, but you know, they are not the only team in college that gets favored like that. Take a look at how the BCS Bowl teams are picked. [#1 or #2 SEC vs. #3 or #4 BCS] and [#1 or #2 Big Ten vs. #4 or #5 BCS] (not sure, but it's something like this anyway) and so on. If Ohio or Michigan leads the Big Ten, they'll go to the Rose Bowl even if they are ranked #11 or worse.

It should be 1 bcs vs 2 bcs, 3 vs 4, 4 vs 5 and so on. A couple years ago, 05 I think, Penn State was ranked 10 or worse, but they were 1 or 2 in the Big 10 and got to play in a BCS bowl vs. #5 or #6 or something like that.

It's too corrupt and like said before so many times, it will never be fair until there is a playoff system.

Anyway, that wasn't the question. Yes, they should let him go.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I thought they had finally worked it out where #1 in the BCS played #2, and #3 BCS played #4, etc. I remember a few years ago Oklahoma played Oregon in the Rose Bowl. Wasn't no Big 10 team there... then Texas played USC in the Rose Bowl. The thing I really, really hate about my team playing LSU in New Orleans is all the drunks... and boy, do they come out. LOL

12. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    wow Lawrence!!! I thought this was Notre Dame thread!!!!!!!!!!!! But thanks for tuning in.................... tigerbait ......tigerbait........"Is it coming back to ya?'Be glad u were in the small Superdome instead of Tiger Stadium!!!!!!!!!

13. Julie - Tite Lok

Julie - Tite Lok New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Since I live so close to ND and we try to tailgate every home game I thought I'd add my two sense coming from a ladies perspective. I don't think he will get fired. ND hasn't had decent recruits since our favorite grass picker left (Holtz) It's going to take time to get those favored players back into ND instead of them signing on with Florida St. or USC. There are plenty of other schools going through the same problem. Take Colorado. Nebraska is having a terrible year as well. Both schools always having excellent football programs.
    Take IU basketball for instance. The program hasn't been the same since Knight left. We haven't seen a sweet 16 in how many years? We still cheer on our Hoosiers but have a new love for Texas Tech!
    Go Red Raiders!

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I graduated from IU and what I saw was Bobby Knight taking the Hoosiers no where. Until Mike Davis became coach did we went to the national cahmpionship game only losing to Maryland.

We need Lou Holtz back! Charlie Weiss fed on Tyrone Willinghams recuits (Quinn, Samarjia?, Stovall, and Walker).

The Hooisers are ranked 9 and have some killer freshman named Eric Gordon. If D.J. White can stay healthy, they'll be force to be reckoned with!

Thanks Julie!

15. Julie - Tite Lok

Julie - Tite Lok New Member

State:
    Indiana
    don't mean to turn this Norte Dame thread into a we miss the General forum. But just had to add this bit of information.

Knight has won more NCAADivision I men's basketball games than any other head coach. As of the 2007 NCAA tournament (March 27, 2007), that number stood at 890.
    Knight has won three NCAA championships (1976, 1981, 1987), one National Invitation Tournament championship (1979), and led the U.S. Olympic basketball team to a gold medal (1984). This is considered collegiate basketball's Triple Crown.[1] Knight also led Indiana to 11 Big Ten Conference championships, and is a 4-time National Coach of the Year (1975, 1976, 1987, 1989).
    I don't see that as taking the Hoosier basketball team no where.

In a perfect world, we would have never let Holtz go. We could have had several more years of championships under our belt. They've made to many bad coaching decisions to have two seasons with a great coach turn around. I guess a few football seasons is kind of like fishing for that big blue....Patience....

16. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I personnally can't stand Notre Dame...and they are favored IMO more than anyone in college football. If they could find a way to get them in a bowl game this year they would try. I wouldn't put Colorado in the same league as Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc. They have 1 National Championship and were relative push overs for a very long time until the 90's.

My Huskers do suck something awful...but allways seeing how bad Notre Dame is this year makes me feel just a little better.

They'll never get rid of all the bowl games because of all the revenue...i.e. Notre Dame. I'm not going to act like Nebraska isn't one of those teams that bowl games salivate over. Because there's such a devoted fan base they'll follow them anywhere.

It's all about MONEY MONEY MONEY

SudDawg
    Go HUSKERS
    WAR EAGLE

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Blacky i like you and your posts dude but let me sum it up in two words.....THEY SUK! lol rollo