Noticed on blue catfish around gills

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by onlyriverfish, Aug 28, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Caught several bigger blues this year (over 50) on the missouri river and noticed they had some parasites attached around the gill areas. I believe these to be freshwater clams larvae.

Did some research and found that clams are known to use the fish as hosts to move to new breeding areas.

This suggests to me that these large blues are feeding on clams at some time (what times?).
    Wondering if anyone knows areas on the missouri river that are more favorable to clam populations. Figuring most sandbars, but other areas? Are some bars more prone to sustained populations? Are there better streatches for clam than others?

Any help appreciated.

2. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Also noticed by a very observant fishing bud that a barge had clams attached to the back side and research shows the clams (zebra only or all?) like steel to attach themselves to.

Can anyone expand on this? Still researching/thinking about this subject.
    thanks.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Man I cant help you out on the Missouri but how much does that blue weigh you got there?

4. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    My scale said 84. Figure it might be a little more as scale may be off. Caught few weeks back in july.

This fish was graphed with anyother of similar size and have yet to get the other one. When I graphed the two fish I told my partner they each were between 80 and 100lb per graph arch.
    Didnt get him that night-went back next night and setup in best feed location figured per that river stretch and it bit in 9minutes after setting up. We video taped catching it in daylight around 8:30pm.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    agreed inquireing minds want to know ?????????????? as far as clams the blues on the ohio river are eating clams or muscles now dont make since tho cause im still catching shad and skipjacks i guess their taste has changed , maybe a good time to break out the shrimp

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thats a nice fish, a 75 lbr got caught out of one of my holes saturday an hour after I moved.

7. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Just an observation re that fish and anyother around 60 lbs that I caught few days later:
    Both these big fish looked "TOUGH". That is they looked like they lived in very rough enviroments. Broken top fin bones, scrapes,etc...just tough.

Several 50lbers caught this year looked like teenagers dressed for prom. Clean, no marks,etc... All within few miles of ea other but living in same water stretch.

Tells me something about thier aggressive feeding methods. Its a tough world down there in the battle for the most food I guess!

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    clams ; the water is low here on the ohio river you can watch the banks for white shells washed up that usually means a muscle bed is there their usually in small gravel beds around eddie's or rock bars that jut out in the river . im still in aw over yer avatar

10. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    The clams would be an available food source that takes no energy to chase-can eat at leisure and might just be supplimental-but that may prove to be an indicator of where that fish (and others of its size)have been or may hang out at certain times.

Maybe it was a spring thing and the larvae are still there? Dont have a timeline of the larvae yet.

My understanding is/was that only smaller fish used clams as a food source, but if these were clam larvae then maybe not.

Mr big gets big by taking every advantage it can to eat well with the least energy possible.

11. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james

12. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Here in Arkansas I have read that the blues are feeding on the zebra mussels in the Ark river. grizzly

13. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    True here in south cnetral Kansas one of our bigger lakes was discovered to zebra mussels in it about 2 years ago. So the stae is starting to stock the lake with blue's to try to control the population.

So how do you put the mussel on the hook? Shell or on shell?

14. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    If I were fishing that water Id be hot to call DNR or go in person to talk with the people(s) that have been tracking these mussel for information where the best mussel beds are located.

Im not convinced that only smaller fish eat em. Times get tough for all sizes of fish prob.

15. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    Curious, What fishfinder are you using???:tounge_out: