nothing Like being Slapped in the face at the Boat ramp.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by jayriverrat, Oct 7, 2005.

1. jayriverrat

jayriverrat New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey what's up Guys I am gonna give it a try Sat-Night With the low temps what do you guys think would be good? Nightcrawlers have been great for blues, and Channels.

Jason

P.S. Listen to this, I was fishing last Sat-night, I was running jugs and i had a troutline in as well, I caught 2 fish both under 2lbs and there was millons shadon top of the water, more then i have ever seen before ( and let me tell i've seen shad )
    So i thought that might be the reason i didn't catch anything, Well i put the boat on the trailer and was standing at the boat ramp and this boat pulled up with no lights on at all, ( True RIVER RATS ) and i asked them if they had any luck and they said they caught a couple, well the ole boy lifted up his stringer and that damm thing was full not a fish under 8lbs and then he said here are the ones that wouldn't fit on the stinger and i said man that's like being slapped in the face and they were just using rods n reel.......

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Did you ask about the bait they was using. that would have been the first thing. and then sometimes it just goes like that too. i saw three guys in my boat two will catch fish after fish and that one man just cant buy a bite. maybe they just hit a honeyhole or the right bait at the right time.

3. jayriverrat

jayriverrat New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    They were using the same thing i was worms... That is were I will start out at tomorrow night LOL And if they are there i will just have to tie off to there boat LOL.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've been there brother, not just once or twice, seems that way most of the time!! I'll ask what they've been using for bait and my next trip out i'll use the same but I won't have the same results. Go figure. One ol' boy just told me I had to put my "time in on the water" and they'll (the fish) will come. Well I'm still waiting. It's like playing the lottery almost, more you play, the bigger chance of winning!! However I still believe tactics and experience will increase the catch rate. I'm just trying to sharpen my tactics and get more and more experience by spending as much time on the water as possible.

Good luck bro!

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Rat. You'll usually learn more about fishing on the days you get skunked then the days where you do well. Keep at it. You'll find em soon. I'll be back out there soon.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep time on the water is priceless. You can not get enough of it when it comes to learning when,where and how. I don't really listen to people when they tell me what bait they catch the fish on. If there anything like me they tell a good story.

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Did you consider that perhaps you should be using some shad for bait? Also do you have a depthfinder? If so, try cruising the sides of the river and finding some holes. When you find holes, thin them out by noting which ones have structure within them. These are the honeyholes. Even more so if the hole is located in deep water and is situated near shallow water. If you have no fishfinder...is the river wadable at all? If it is this is a good way to find holes. Also consider this...even though someone is anchored in one spot it doesnt neccessarily mean that they are fishing right there in that one spot. There is a technique I learned from one of the old river rats as you describe. You drop your bait with as little or no weight as possible into the water and let the current wash it downstream...leaving slack in the line to allow it to bump along the bottom. If your line is slack your bait is likely moving with the current unless it snags behind a rock or falls into a hole...now if you keep letting line out when it does this you're just letting so much slack out that you cant feel when you get a bite. In order to prevent this just let out a little bit of line at a time...perhaps ten feet...until the line tightens up. When your line is tight...your bait is rising to the top. When it tightens let a few more feet out and allow it to sink again. When the bait does stop and the line doesnt tighten...let it sit for a few minutes to see if you get a bite wherever it is sitting. after a few minutes...raise your rod and let it wash back downstream until it stops again and let it sit there again before moving it back downstream. You can cover a huge amount of water using this method. Sometimes I might have 100 yards of line out and am fishing all the way up around the bend. This technique takes practice. But it does work. I have been fishing with this technique next to guys like you that dont have a fish on the stringer that are fishing in one spot with a heavy sinker...and my stringer is so heavy that it's hard to lift. I've been that other guy in the past with no fish on my stringer, and like you say...it feels like a "slap in the face"....but when I figured out what they were doing and how to do it...my catch ratio increased dramatically. I have posted this method before a few times...and two of my posts are located with a much more detailed description in the "Informative Member Posts" under the heading "River Fishing". Check it out and give it a try...you may never view your technique in the same light...I know I didn't. While you are in the Informative Member posts section...read up...there are some really good posts that have been moved into that section by the mods...and you can gain some really good insight written by a bunch of "River Rats".

8. jayriverrat

jayriverrat New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thank catcaller for the info I will for sure try that and see what happens.

Jason