Nothing but love

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dreamcatcher, Nov 23, 2005.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

“Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, and does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. Love never fails. When I was a babe, I used to speak as a babe, to think as a babe, to reason as a babe, but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the traits of a babe. For at present we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face to face. At present I know partially, but then I shall know accurately even as I am accurately known. Now, however, there remain faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” – Paul to the Corinthians

I pondered over these words this last past weekend as I examined my personal relationships here and abroad. Some folks say that love is blind. Love, some say, will make you do things that you otherwise would not do. I say that love allows one to see things in the full light of day, and if there is any darkness it is created in the recesses of our own minds. Furthermore, any acts of goodwill that are extended towards one another are things that you should do unconditionally, regardless of the person, time, or place. We all fall short in displaying love toward one another. Some of this is due to being caught up in world events that are beyond our control, like the present conflict in the Middle East. Then there’s the condition of the country’s economy with rising fuel prices, budget deficit, loss of jobs, and an ever changing stock market that sends us into a tailspin regarding our quality of life. More recently, we have experienced devastation on a global scale as many people are dying from catastrophic conditions that are brought on by natural occurrences. When you couple this with the infestation of crime that’s prevalent in our society, disease, and our growing intolerance of one another it seems to present an obstacle that is almost impossible to overcome. If we succumb to the things that are seemingly beyond our control then we are truly a lost people.

It is true that much of the foreseeable future is beyond our ability to “see”, thus, it is quite literally “out of our hands” in controlling events on a global scale. However, there is one thing that we can control, and that is the affection that we show towards one another today. We should make an effort now, because if we wait until tomorrow that day will never come. I say these things not with the intention to spread “holiday cheer”, because it goes will beyond getting together for a day, or a weekend. My assertion is for us to get it together for a day, extend it for a week, and carry it out for a year. That is the mentality that we need to conquer the unrest in our souls, so love can find a way into our hearts.

I have heard the talk when it comes to “atmosphere” regarding our great community here. Many liked the look of the old forum in favor of the new one, so and so feels mistreated, he/she catches bigger catfish than me, nobody knows anybody anymore, and in general things could be a lot better. Well, things aren’t going to get better unless we make them better. For me that sentiment begins within this fragile frame of mine. In other words, I have to get my mind right first before anybody else can benefit. Once that is accomplished, then that love can be nurtured with my wife and my children. Take hold of your spouse, look them in the eye, and show/tell them how much you love them on a regular basis. The same thing goes with your kids, because they are the product of the love you share. If you feel like shedding some tears in the process then you go right ahead. As the saying goes here, “get it done,” not just for today, but for the rest of this journey we call life. You display these acts of affection to the ones in your inner circle, and I will guarantee our brothers and sisters here in the BOC will be greatly rewarded. Before you know it things will just all of a sudden get better and better, because you’ll have the amount of respect and affection for your neighbor as you have for yourself.

I have been a member of the BOC for a little over a year now, and can honestly say that it has been a great journey thus far. I have met people in this community that I never would have dreamed meeting otherwise. Whether it’s fishing with my brethren in the state of Michigan (whose company I especially enjoy) or traveling to the land of the bigguns in the south, each experience has fostered a sense of camaraderie that is palpable. In the beginning, my wife chided me somewhat by asking me, “Do you know these people that you’re going fishing with?” “Yes,” I would say, “I know them by the fruit they display, because a bad tree only produces bad fruit, it doesn’t have the capability for goodness.” I say it all the time, “The folks that I’ve met from the BOC would I not only fish with, but am proud to call my friends.”

If you view this as strictly an internet forum I can see how all this can come off as rather sappy. That is the crux of the situation right there, and one that is easily remedied. Start by letting us know a little something about you, whether it’s your name, planet you’re from, or your favorite river. Then let’s see your war face, or your smiling mug, but anything other than the “ski mask” of anonymity. We won’t bite you, and you might like the conversation if you choose to stay awhile. As for the online conversation, I try to present myself in a manner of someone you can feel comfortable spending a night on the river with, and would hope that feeling is reciprocal. Then get away from the keyboard and monitor, grab your fishing gear, and hook up with ONE person and enjoy a little bit of what this place is about, but you got to step away from that computer first. Get involved. As the saying goes,” If I can do it, anybody can.”

I hope that all of you will remain vigilant and enjoy yourselves during this long weekend. Spread the love with all those you hold dear, and throw some our way, so we can be better than ever before. Thanks for listening, and may God guide you and keep you safe.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    If I could give ya more I would. That is one awesome post brother that more people need to take to heart.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Vic,
    AWESOME brother! Yes, I sure do love to read your post and especially this one :0a27:
    When I first joined back in 2003, my wife and co-workers would say, "One of those brotheres gonna rob you". I would laugh and say no" They are my brothers". I am so glad I took that step and began to meet brothers. I have traveled many a weekend to fish with brothers. Just plain right down blessed is what I am! Made some very good friends and I know I will continue to meet more. Will be spending Sat night fishing with a brother. I Want to wish the rest of you a blessed Thankgiving.

4. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Remarkable! You and Abilene have the best way with words!! I would gladly spend a night or three on the river with you and call you friend!!

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    good post, Vic....been waiting to hear from you

6. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    dream, that's good stuff. I total agree with you brother. Preach On! :)

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Very nice Vic, has to be the best post I've read so far. Sort of like where it came from also. Dick

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Vic, like all your post. Very inspirational. My momma tried to teach me the very things you are saying here. As a lad I had no idea what she was doing. Now that I am a man, I try to teach my son this. I come from a samll town where if I'm driving one way down the road and you are coming up the other way, we both with out thinking wave to each other. Kinda saying "Howdy" as we pass. My son thinks I'm nuts, cus you just don't do that anymore round here. We have lost the respect that our parents taught us to give. I know you have to give respect it to get it. Today it's not that away, folks are so rude now days. But, my momma taught me to respect all folks older than me, no matter what. I have learned to treat all age people with respect rather they deserve it or not. Maybe, cause my momma is watchin' me, or is it because she is right ?

Some kids never learned this from momma, this is why they grow up to be a$$ H's......

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Love ya Vic!!! No really, I love you, it's not a facination, when are you coming to Illinois so we can consumate this Love with a day of hot, steamy.....
    FISHING!!!!

LMAO!!!!

Sorry Vic, I had to. Delete what you want, at least I got it out.

Ray

10. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Maw Judy has a saying that I really like, it is "Love is an action verb".

Vic, we really do appreciate you my friend and that post is fantastic buddy and we wish we could give you 10 stars for it. Judy and I would like to meet you someday in person and do some fishing with you. :)

11. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Great post Vic,
    Couldn't agree more,with what you said!I think everyone should take time,an look at their self,then ask 'Am i doing the right things,Am i treating people how i want them to treat me,Could i do more?Had a friend tell me,he started judging himself,instead of judging other people.Said it made him see a different light.
    Leak

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm feeling you man ....Great post

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Great post Vic! We all miss your posts. Come back and post more often. You have such a way with words that they can't help but inspire!

I have a throw that some dear friends gave me with part of that Corinthians verse on it. It travels everywhere with me in the car. Sure comes in handy, even if just mentally sometimes.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. :)

14. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Great Post Vic!!! I joined this board in 01 and it's changed a lot but in the best way it's still the same.It's a Brotherhood!!!!

15. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Great post Vic,

That was a truely inspiring post for sure. I know that it came from the Heart.

Happy Thanksgiving....

16. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Vic, that is an awesome post...and it should be a sticky.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

17. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Vic you can have the very best seat in my boat anytime. Awesome post and I agree, this post should be made sticky for sure.

Steve

18. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Vic, that is an excellent post. Would hit ya twice if I could on the R.P.

Hope you start posting a little more.

Have a good Holiday, take care and be safe.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    very good. very well spoken. excellent post vic.

20. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Vic, great post as always bro.
    I met a local memeber here once togo fishing. He told me his wife was worried about him going fishing with a stranger.He told her ,"Oh don't worry. I'll be safe." "How are you sure?" she asked. "Thats cause he carries a gun, thats why."
    "Oh great! You going to meet someone that you've never met,way back on the river somewhere and you already know he carries a gun. Just great."
    All in all it worked out great. he was/is a great guy
    (Vic, I think that it's "Git R done" bro)
    :D