nother newb

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Jeffrey, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

State:
    AZ
    Glad I found this board, lots of experience and good accounts. My name is Jeff and I've lived in AZ from GA since 96. I catfished alot in GA but havn't done it here since then. I just got a pole and license again and decided to try Bartlett last two friday nights in a row at the campsites. I used shrimp one night and hot dogs the next...nothin but crawdads.

I feel like I'm fishing for the first time. Short casts, lost bait, lame spots are all I'm getting. After reading some of your accounts I think I may try some new things. But It looks like there is alot to catch on to.

I don't think I'm ready for any big flatheads yet. For now I'd be to stoked to land some pan sized channels. Hopefully, someone here could answer a couple questions.

1. What bait would best help me and how should I hook it?

2. With warmer water temps should I use weights, floats or nothing but the bait?

3. For now I will be fishing from the shore. Any west shore recommendations?

Thanks! I appreciate any tips. I'm thinking about trying Bartlett again Friday but at 6$ pass + gas from phx and beer my wifes gonna start thinking I'm cheating on her if I don't come home with a fish.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    welcome to the BOC Jeff. Good luck on your reintegration to fishing.

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    welcome to the BOC Jeff, there will be some AZ members that will give the info you need, one thing you will find out is the members here are more tan willing to help out with tips.

4. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    welcome to boc Jeff!
    Sat night at the tourney was the first time I fished from shore at Bartlett. I didn't expect to catch anything & was really surprised when my clicker started running. It was a small flat that took a blue gill on a slip rig with a 7/0 gamu octopus circle hook. I also caught a couple channels using raw shrimp same rig set up. I don't know of any specific shore spots to recommend but im sure some of the other guys will help you out. Hope this helps good luck out there!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeffery Welcome to the Brotherhood. I look forward to reading your post.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Jeffery welcome to the B.O.C from N.C.,this is a great site good info an great people on here also:wink:

7. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
  8. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Jeffrey, welcome to the BOC, I fished Bartlett last week, had no luck on flatties. I got there very late around 11:30pm caught a few blue gills for bait but were on the small side. Had no runs but I was in a bad location, someone else was in the spot I liked, also was fishing from shore. Channel cats were biting on Secret 7 and crawlers, seem odd but had no bite on crawler until I threw out Secret 7, believe I got the water chummed up. Next time I'm going to get out there a little earlier to scout out my holes and to get larger bait also will be in my canoe, will be going up river. Good luck fishing.

9. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    welcome to the BOC Jeff, lots of info on here. good luck out there.

10. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Jeff to the BOC. Alot of help here, check the old post and library lots of good info. Good Luck!

11. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Welcome to the forum.

I use chicken liver, nightcrawlers for small cats, rig them carolina rig style. I use a 3/4 and sometimes a 1/2 oz weight.

Let us know how you do.

12. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    welcome to the brotherhood jeff. chicken liver works the best if u want channels. if u plan on fishin a lot look into the tonto annual pass. its 95 bucks and good if u pull a boat.try rattlesnake cove it has floating docks that u can fish from.i know guys who caught some big boys there.good luck out there.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff.

14. lonnydcline

lonnydcline New Member

State:
    az
    I been catching lots of channels on cut bait,either blue gill or carp,i use as small as slip weight i can get by with

frey;1588326]Glad I found this board, lots of experience and good accounts. My name is Jeff and I've lived in AZ from GA since 96. I catfished alot in GA but havn't done it here since then. I just got a pole and license again and decided to try Bartlett last two friday nights in a row at the campsites. I used shrimp one night and hot dogs the next...nothin but crawdads.

I feel like I'm fishing for the first time. Short casts, lost bait, lame spots are all I'm getting. After reading some of your accounts I think I may try some new things. But It looks like there is alot to catch on to.

I don't think I'm ready for any big flatheads yet. For now I'd be to stoked to land some pan sized channels. Hopefully, someone here could answer a couple questions.

1. What bait would best help me and how should I hook it?

2. With warmer water temps should I use weights, floats or nothing but the bait?

3. For now I will be fishing from the shore. Any west shore recommendations?

Thanks! I appreciate any tips. I'm thinking about trying Bartlett again Friday but at 6$ pass + gas from phx and beer my wifes gonna start thinking I'm cheating on her if I don't come home with a fish.[/QUOTE]

15. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    try below the dam with liver

16. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona