'Nother Lowe Makeover:

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by kat in the hat, Mar 12, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's some pics of Tom and I's progress on his 18' Lowe. We've been plagued with set backs, and our schedules don't jive, so the progress has been slow. Nothing has been installed yet. Just have the floor frame made, and getting some of the decking dry cut. Just getting to where you can have andea of where we are going with it. Hopefully this week, the hull will recieve final preparations, and get coated. Next week, we will resume building, sanding, and fiberglass lamination...hopefully. Might get to pour some foam too??? Anyways, here some pics.

Attached Files:

2. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Here's some more. Got the frame for the floor made, and it will eventually be filled with pourable foam.

Also, got some of the decking and storage and livewell areas dry fitted. Nothing has been assembled yet, just cut.

Attached Files:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Matt, it's looking good! I like the way you're going to raise the decks. Thanks for the pix.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that looks like a great build u got going on there, love the decks!!!

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Lookin good Matt. It'll be worth it when it's done.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    that thing is gonna be sharp.

7. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    I'd go to Lowes and buy the blue foam and stack it in there. If you use the pour able foam, you will close off the crimps and it won't drain. Over time it will eventually absorb water like a sponge, it's amazing how heavy it gets.

Just for reference I just helped a buddy with his 2006 Lowe Roughneck 1760 pull out the foam in the pod seats at the transom. The foam that filled the bottom crimps obviously will not let the water drain properly and absorbed water. Very heavy foam at this point and only on a 2 year old boat. This boat is a NMMA approved boat and everything in it, including the foam. This type of foam works great if it is molded first then added to the boat above where water will drain. But this foam should never be used in direct contact with the hull.

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Matt, Looking great on the re-build. If you are concerned with blocking off anything when you do the foam. Use trash bags or roll plastic and duct tape in the forms and it will be removable and shape able after it sets up. I did that in my tracker and it turned out great.
    You guys are doing a great job, keep up the great work and updates.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

9. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Not to worry. The gullies, valleys...whatever they are called will be unobstructed, and water allowed to drain freely to the bilge area. Was thinking about doing what Dave mentioned. Lay some 1/2" pvc in the valley, put some plastic wrap in there, and pour the foam, then remove the pvc. Or, I guess we could just grind a notch out of the foam after it sets up. Whitch ever way it gets done, the water will have a route to the back. It would be groovy if the foam was removable for future inspection though for sure.

10. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Wow Matt, definitely a boat stripped completely down to the bare bones. Looks like after its complete there will be plenty of storage. Keep the pics coming of your progress.

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Matt, I am still looking for where i placed the file with the pics of my Tracker. I may have lost them on a different computer but if I can find them I will post a couple of what I did. It has came in handy twice now when I needed to access the main floor of the boat. Saved me from having to rip out the foam and buy new foam to replace it.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

12. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Just got word that the hull has been prepped, primed, and coated. I haven't seen it yet I'm excited. Will be going up to work on it next week, and will get some pix up soon. Time to start with the glass and epoxy. Foam is due to arrive Monday.

13. chris dornbusch

chris dornbusch New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thats going to be a nice boat,I envy..........

14. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I got to go work on the boat yesterday. Got quite a bit done. No major set backs this time except TCAT's fridge went on the fritz, and we had to move a new one in. Budget buster...god bye Himminbird lol.

Anyways, here's a few pix. The first two are just with the wood set in and fitted. The third is me in the progress of assembling what will eventually be a livewell with storage boxes on both sides.

Attached Files:

15. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Lookin good Matt! Keep us updated.

16. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    The next pic is the livewell mostly assembled. Speakers will eventually be installed in the front of the box on the sides in the 'wing' looking areas. Still have to cut the holes, and box the sides in, and fiberglass in up real good.

And the next is the deck pieces in the process of being laminated with 6 oz. cloth and epoxy. The epoxy is pigmented grey. I hope that is not a problem. The pontoon shop says that is what they use, so I have my fingers crossed that it is OK. Talked to Tom today, and he says that it's rock hard. Also, it's hard to tell in the photo, but you can also see that the outside of the hull has been primed, and spray coated with rhino liner. Some places still need another light coat. Took a gallon to do the outside. Will take maybe a gallon and a half more to finish up the hull, and coat the deck. (For anyone wondering how much it takes to coat a boat.)

Question: Is it normal to be able to see the cloth through the epoxy once it sets up? Besides primer, is ther further surface prep that needs to be done before the final coating? Just curious.

Attached Files:

17. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    good looking work, looks like a big shop also!!!!

18. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Looks like you have a nice lookign fishing boat there

19. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes, the fiber weave gets translucent when the resin is put on. When it is set up and very dry ( it will clog sand paper real quick till it is cured) scuff it up with 120 or so to let the primer get a good grip. Then, when the primer is dry and cured, scuff again lightly and put on the top coat of color with a little sand for non-skid walking.. Paint the bottom even if not using glass, two coats.

20. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Lookin good Matt, keep up the good work. Slow process aint it? I still havent got my Lowe 1652 project completed, just not enuf hrs in a week left over after work, wife, kids, house, yard, dogs, rain, vehicles, turkeys, ect, ect.