Noth Canadian River (Beaver river or Oklahoma river)

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by mtrimble, Dec 2, 2005.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Just wondering if anyone on here other than myself fish this river much. East of the city between the Hiawassee bridge and Shawnee ive had a lot of luck. Out west is nice also. Still a bit skeptical of the river as it runs through the metro. Especially with all the construction going on. I was told that some big cats were stocked in those lakes or whatever they are. Anyone fish any stretch of this river?

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Matt, if I remember right, about 5-600 10lb cats were stocked in sections of the river. Main problem, is finding a place that's fishable. Quite a few areas where the bank is too steep.
    Will

3. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    You can get a motor boat in at the rowboat place downtown. Bank fishing is kinda a balancing act on those rocks. Its dredged that I cannot figure out any spots that look better than others. it all looks the same. Parking is also a pain. I pulled my truck up next to the river a few nights ago and the security gaurd told me to park about a mile away.

4. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Matt and Will, I fish this river all year long. There are some great places to fish, especially east of the metro. The fish are in great shape also. I fish all the logjams and do very well. You wouldn't believe it but there are several holes over 15 feet deep and a couple over 25 feet deep. About the river downtown. I watched it very close while it was under construction. The river was dredged in all three lakes. The bottom is flat as a pancake for about forty yards from the riprap shore line. Then the main channel drops about 3 feet and some places much, much deeper. There are several tributaries to the Oklahoma River. You can easily identify them from the small creeks and runoff canals attached to the river. In these areas you have great points with drop offs to the secondary channels and another drop off to the main river channel. All of the bridges have some type of cover and structure around them. There some nice holes around the I-35 bridge pilings and the other bridges there. Can't help with the parking problem, thats a pain for everybody. Good luck.

5. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    I also wanted to tell you guys about the dam at Eastern. The shad are thick there when the water turns off. You can't use a cast net, I know from experience, me and the Game Ranger talked about the "Home Waters Act" while I was holding my cast net in my hands!!! :crying: He was nice about though and just warned me. Need to keep up on the changes. Anyway, I aksed him about picking up the shad. He said if they are not snagged or netted you could pick them out of the rocks all day long. I put some some hip boots on and picked up a five gallon bucket of huge gizzard shad. I also caught some small carp, 8 to 10 inches. Great flathead bait. He siad as long as you don't take fish that are classified as sport fish you would be alright. Just wanted to let you guys know about the easy pickins. Make sure you wear some tall boots and something tough for the rocks. Good Luck.

6. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks Brian ill check out the bait spot. I know a few awesome spots east of the city also. What is this new "Home Waters Act ?" I use a throw net down there all the time and I know of a few homeless guys that do also. I live right by there and just think of it as a big bait hole. I kinda like woods and nature when I fish. Thats why I head east of the city. To around the Hefner all the way up to Hogback road. Noodled some red rocks around that first Shawnee bridge and did alright. Its gets very deep there.

7. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Matt, the Home Waters Act is a set of laws for bodies of water in the metro area. Basically, they outlawed using a casting, seining or throw nets being used in the waters of the metor area. It sucks. I am glad to see there are other people out there who like the North Canadian. It had a bad rap for awhile because of pollution. They have really cleaned it up though. I have caught several nice flatheads out of it.

8. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Ive basically grown up sloshing around in this river as it runs by Yukon. I hear a lot of people say its polluted but have always brushed it off as them just being afraid of getting dirty. Have you seen any stats on this? Ill be the first to get cancer as much time as I spend in it. I was fishing under the Hefner bridge during a thunderstorm when a truck stopped on top and started dumping a bunch of used diesel barrels into the river. I yelled that I was calling the sherriff (which I did) and the guy sped off. Im still kicking myself over the fact that I didnt get his tag. I actually put my boat in the river (17 ft tracker v-hull) under the Hiawassee bridge and almost never made it back. They turned the water off downtown and the river was dropping fast! I made it all the way to Hogback before turning around. There is a logjam I could not pass under Hogback that extends from one bank to the other like a wall. I like to fish off a few beaver lodges i know of too.