Note to self: outrunning rain on the water needs more than a 7.5hp

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by FordTruckGuySTX, Jun 8, 2006.

1. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    How many of you amuse yourselves running from rain on the water when fishing. I went out last night to relax and fart around some with my buddy. Only out a couple hours and it started to rain, we had my little '58 Norris Craft and 7.5 merc wide open and couldnt outrun it. we got alittle soaked but it was fun as it could be. Other than being wet it was nice though, real peaceful we got to make an anchor from a car wheel/tire which we cut the tire off with a pocket knife then used abunch of old limblines we cut down to make an anchor line and it worked great. Got a 1lb channel and about a 5-6lb channel, looked like she had eggs so i sat her free and met one of my buddies who had no luck so i let him have the channel to take home.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A sheet of plastic folded and kept in a black garbage bag will keep for years.Just cut it to size and shape as you wish.Change black garbage bags as they deteriorate in the sun and not your plastic rain shields.I like to cut it where I can sit on it and get my feet on the corners to help hold it in the wind.I also carried a couple of cheap synthetic blankets in the winter.They are good for you and others if the need arises.They cost little and are great to cover and leave with accident victims,or anyone in need.peewee-williams

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Brother in law and I fish on the Big Sioux river here in Iowa and we get caught in a few storms, OK a lot of storms. One night with a lightening storm approaching we waited a little long to head in, it was about 2:00am and it started lightening BAD and it was hitting very close to us. Rain, it rained so hard we could hardly see to get the boat down the river but he did it full throttle. At the ramp he runs the boat on to shore, I jump out to back his truck down the ramp. I've never driven his truck and while I'm doing this he is backing the boat out into the river to line up for a drive on loading. The ramp is narrow with a drop off of about 2 feet on both sides so I don't want to mess this up with his new truck. Now the windows are fogging up due to my being wet and the humid night with rain. I can't see so I roll down the windows and stick my head out the window to see and he yells at me to get my tail in gear and hurry up. I'm not a happy camper and he is getting soaked so I put it in park, slowly walk down the ramp with it raining buckets and yell, "What?" He yells at me to get it in gear and I yell back "What?" he finally gets the idea and shuts up so I get in the truck and get it down the ramp OK and he drives on and we pull out. He gets in the truck and gives me all kinds of grief and I just let him go on and then look at him and said , "What?". Quiet drive home. There is nothing in the world like racing an aluminum boat down a river at night that is full of logs in the rain with lightening hitting all around you while your sitting on a seat that is held up with a metal rod that is now just inches below your bottom and if lightening hits the water near by or the boat that lightening is going to follow that seat post up though the seat and fry your ....... well you get it. True story. lol

4. Note to self; when running on just a trolling motor save half the battery to get back on.
    Note to self; telling mother-in-law to get out and push is not considered humor to some folks. LOL

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I do think that you and every one else is far safer sitting out in that storm,than fishing with some one like your brother in law.Waiting to the last minute,and then endangering everyones life to hurry up and get there is a very selfish thing to do.Unfortunately it is very common everywhere.When some one endangers you,they are endangering your family.They need you.Far more people die from the actions of people like this,than die from sitting in open places in a lighting storm.Highways to waterways,people like this are the main killers.Please think about it.peewee-williams