Note Found In Old House

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Dragger, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a farm in Chester,county S.C., that I use for deer and turkey hunting. About a mile from the farm is an old farm house that is real old and the owners had it rebuilt. They striped it to the frame and rebuilt it completely. In the ceiling , over the front porch ,they found a note,nailed to a rafter,and it read,(quote) When you find this note,I'll be gone,All thats left,is my rotten bones. P,J,Jones, 1856...... Just thought I would shair this..........steve, 2006

2. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Wow that's amazing. Over 100 years and it's still there. I guess he was right though unless he lived a VERY VERY long life.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    thats pretty neat too bad p.j. didnt leave some little artifact other than his note to make it more interesting.
    i guess he built this cabin??

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    It would be really interesting to see if the note was ligite, maybe some carbon dating or something...

Let us know if they do any of that

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Very Interesting, scan that note and post it :smile2:

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Would have been even greater had the note read "when you find this note and this money...":lol: .

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's pretty cool. I love looking for things like that. I have a real old house in the country that I'm re-modeling and have been to the library trying to find out when the first part of it was built. I can't find any real good dates but it was around 1875. The newest part is an upstairs bathroom that was added on. When I tore off the wall board to start re-modeling it, someone had signed the inside of the wall board, "M.A. Dawson May 7th, 1915".

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    It was common back in those days, people did that stuff all the time and I think it is really cool!
    When I remodeled my entire house, new tile, hardwood floors etc. I left some notes for someone in the future with the date. No,I didn't leave any money in there either! LOL

9. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'd get a metal detector.People did bury time capsule's back then.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO

Very cool Dragger, thanks for sharing. I got a bunch of old school books and such from my great grandparnets place. History will never come again.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is really neat. Maybe there is other stuff burried around there.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Now thats wild! Like Paul said. Seein it would be cool. THANX!

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Being from Pa and in the heart of Dutch country it isn't uncommon to find things "inside" the houses. I used to find mummified hands and all kind of silver items while I was a carpenter doing some rennovations. The hands were usually a loved one's and litterally the hands that built the house. usually the right hand. They always put it above an Eastern facing window or the front door for protection. Weird huh?

14. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Wow, hands! Now thats creepy...

15. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    And you still sleep at night?:lol:

16. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for sharing Steve,things like that are awesome.I found a trunk in the woods that had ration stamps in it from World War 2.

17. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That is really cool

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Id rather NOT know if a severed hand was in my wall.

I live in an old schoolhouse from the mid 1800s. Its a pretty place. I am always digging up stuff... mostly toys.

I took down an old shed on the property and buried in stones underneath it I found some old square fishing rods, a couple of rounded steel ones with the pfleuger reels still attached, and a cloth cased g-loomis glass rod with an oak handle, plus a few knives and a set of skis.

Neat stuff!

19. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Actually I sleep better! The house I live in had the origial deed signed by William penn! He had it built on commission and never set foot here though. My house was built in 1775.

20. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    The next time you are doing some remodeling work leave a note and write "www.catfish1.com" on it, it's free advertising for the future!! LOL:big_smile: