Not your typical keeping shad alive thread...

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by harper81, Jun 18, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Well I want to discuss keeping shad alive, but not in a tank. I want to talk about on a hook. I want to start using whole, live shad for bait, but I fish from the bank so I have to cast. So where is the best spot to put the hook and how do you cast them without killing them? I have tried hooking through the lips, the eyes, and the back but I think they are dying when they smack the water on the cast. So what are some methods to pull this off?

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    you have to learn how to cast or pitch your bait. I use a sidehand with along lead at the tip of the pole. Almost like you were pitching softball to a 5 year old. Low and slow with a soft underhand loop, and baby it to the water, dont just sling it out there.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you are using the shad from the same lake right? if you transfer waters, the shock will kill them. also depth transfers cause shock. i cast em just like i would anything else...nice and easy...

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    when i use big live shad for bait i try not to cast them at all. i drop them in the current and let em go downstream, or i fish em vertically in lakes. just about any time i cast shad, they die when they hit the water.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hook them right through the nostrils from one side to the other . this way you will not need a very large hook because alot of it will be exposed also less weight for the bait to haul around. most shad have a red spot on their nostrils to know where to hook them at. they will live the longest that way.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Not to change the subject, but how do you keep them from snarling your line? Heck the last one I used wrapped up the barrell swivel, knotted and twisted my line all to .... well that hot place where bad people go.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Loan

I use a long break-away sinker line...(L O N G} than a 3 way above it.

Above that out of reach of the hook, a bobber that will SUBMERGE than put just abit of slack in your line as to let the bobber set above your live bait.

:0a26:

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Loan

If u really what to see the above rig work big time put a Bullhead or small Channel on and make sure he would be about 1 ft off the bottom. They will dance the night away tryin to get to the bottom callin in them there Yellows.

:tounge_out:

9. bigfisher4life

bigfisher4life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have found that hooking them through the nostrils and casting them softly sidehanded keeps them alive the longest but a tip for nest time u do that... it may take the life span away but pulls the big cats in quicker and prevents them from running with ur line if it happens...before u cast ur live shad into the water cut its tail off and rig ur line so that the sinker is at the bottom of your line and the hook is about a foot to 2 feet above your sinker...this prevents them from using there tail to run with your line and also cause them to make a kinda Shakey action like they are crippled and the blood pulls the fish in faster. Just a tip try it sumtime!!!

10. Unckle Jesse

Unckle Jesse New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will try to explain the rig that I use, but im not too good at this. The best way that I have found to rig live shad and shad guts is what I call a zipline rig. You HAVE to use circle hooks to make this work. What I do is tie the hook like im making a leader then i tie a snap swivel on the other end. Then you tie your sinker to the end of the line on your pole. You cast just the sinker out and let it tight line, then you bait your hook and clip it ou to the main line. This rig works well in current becase the bait will get pulled down and it gives the shad or other bait plenty of room to move in the current. I have caught fish on this rig when nothing else would work.

Good lick all, Jesse