Not Too Bad

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Cattoo, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    what had the makings of a bad day on the water turned out not so bad after all. two friends of mine scott and jonathan( aka jackass) and i put in below cannelton dam yesterday to do a little blue cattin. we got a late start. didnt get on the water til around 1:00 pm. real late for us. anyway when we got to the dam there were only 4 gates open. lots of dead water. that was a bad sign. so anyway we started drifting the 4 open gates. all we had for bait was frozen skips. jackass hooked up on the first drift which was a bad sign too. he NEVER catches fish! scott and i always tease him and call him netboy and stuff like that which is not very nice of us especially since it is his boat. but he takes it all and stride. all three of us rag the heck out of each other. nobody takes it serious. but anyway, he pulled up a blue about 8 pounds. we were thinking it was gonna be a good day but somewhere in the back of my mind i thought different. i have caught my share of " decoy" fish. you know the ones you catch right off the bat and dont get another one all day! so as it would go we made several more drifts with nothing. there was a tournament going on and we saw some tourney guys catching a few. they had fresh shad. we asked them where they got it. they told us down river. so we spend the next couple of hours hunting bait. finally when we could find no bait. we went back to where we started and started drifting again. then it was on! we started hooking up on almost every drift! when i say we, i mean scott and jackass! i couldnt buy a fish! they were using smaller hooks and bait than i was but i refused to do this. i was after the big one. 12/0 mustad hook and a piece of bait the size of my fist! well to make a long story short i finally did catch a few 3 blues and a channel. none of the fish were over 10 pounds. matter of fact none of the fish any of us caught were over 10. but we had a blast! we wound up with 16 and i believe we kept 13. here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Great story and a fine mess of cats! LOL! Thanx for sharein!

3. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Well, I don't have enough posts to look at the pics right now, but 16 in one trip sounds like a lot of fun!!! congrats.

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Looks like some nice fish to me, and a few good meals:smile2:

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ryan, jump right in and get some postin' done. You don't know what you're missin':smile2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Be careful whose toes you step on today, they might be attached to the a** you have to kiss tomorrow.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    you will have before you know it welcome the BOC , agreed some nice eaten size fish , i smell dinner

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    yeah ill bet they would be good. unfortunately, i was too tired to clean any fish last night so i let scott keep them all. hope he had fun!:big_smile: i'm gonna see if he'll let me have a few fillets. what are friends for anyway?

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good story and pics, Keith. glad y'all had a good trip.

9. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    That is definatly some good eaters there bet that was fun gettin a few every drift.

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Sometimes a day that starts off slow ends up with a bang! Glad that you had a good time, and thanks for sharin'.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats on a good day of fishing, thanks for sharing

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Sounds like jackass just hired him a new netboy LOL!

Sometimes quantity is better than quality. The quality comes with the companionship and a shared love of what you are doing.

Looks like a great time was had by all.

BTW, I don't have a lot of experience with big dams, but I usually find shad on a seam or right near (on) a wall as close to the discharge as possible, and downstream I look for fast water inlets like a pipe or culvert with water running into the river.