not to good of luck....

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by paintball1022, Jul 5, 2008.

1. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    so i did some riverfishing tonight for the first time and i wasn't to excited about the results..... i thought i would be catching some big cats but not tonight i guess..... :embarassed:

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    so are you new to river fishing then?
    I don't know what your knowledge level is. But fishing rivers is nothing like pond fishing to say the least.
    knowing riffs, pools, runs, structure, etc and how the fish your after relate to these things (or don't) will go a long way toward how succesful you are. the "Ideal" spot will be hard to find or get to from the banks... you'll most likely get skunked more often then not on the beaten bank fishing paths.... most are there because they are just easy access, not because it's an ideal fishing spot.

3. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    Look at the bright side. At least you were fishing and not working.:wink:

4. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana

yes i am new to it and we were bank fishing and i would love to catch a big one out of a river just so ik that there are fish in there :wink: and i really do want to learn more about it cause ik that's where some of the bigger cats are :tounge_out:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    We don't USUALLY get too much beginners luck to the cats. Hope you do better next time. Good luck and keep us posted

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd say if your stuck to the bank without a boat, post what river and where you are fishing at and get some leads on some decent spots from people that bank fish near you.:wink: flatheads have their particulars as do channels. you probably already know baits like: cutbait, liver, minnows, etc. for channels, flatheads like; live hand sized blue gill, shad, etc. something you can buy at the baitshop for flats like large goldfish, suckers. etc. make sure you have the gear to handle the bigger stuff.

7. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    we were fishing in the white river in downtown indianapolis off of raymond street.....

8. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    That is a good area for carp, but I have never caught a catfish there (although I know they are there). I would try further north up around the zoo and Westside Bait & Tackle. I have caught some flatties there around 25lbs or so and always seem to catch a channel or two.

9. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana

wat do u usually use for bait?

10. bigfisher4life

bigfisher4life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well im not familiar with that part up near indy but i live in clarksville indiana and fish the mighty ohio all the time. just about every weekend. we went last night to a place off dixie highway in kentucky and caught about a 50lb blue and had sum other bites but my abu garcia got screwed up so i got pissed and left....but try to use skipjack or any type of shad and we like to use fillets rather than chunks....out of a good skipjack you can get to good size fillets and of caorse use the head...we use about a 3 inch fillet and have caught fish from 15lbs-65lbs on em...caught a 35lb blue, 42lb blue, 60lb blue and the 50lb blue we caught tonight all on small 3 inch fillets...

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    There's definitely some big cats in White River. I fish north of downtown from Broadripple up to 96th Street. My biggest is a 25lb flathead and I've caught many others from 15-20lbs. Biggest channel outta there has been 15lbs with many others around 10-13lbs. My absolute best bait in there has been pumpkinseed sunfish, bluegills work well also...but for some reason, those sunfish stay incredibly lively and aggressive. I'm not too familiar with the section in downtown, don't make it down there to fish too often. One thing I can tell you about the White River, is if you find any area that looks fishy and don't catch anything there the first time...if you go back in a day or 2, you'll usually find something there. Fish below bridges or other man-made structures which create slack water (bridge pilings, eddies, large chunks of concrete, etc.). The catfish will relate to cover and depth, if you can find snags/log jams in deep water or next to deep water, that's usually a good place to start. Good luck and don't quit tryin'.

12. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I primarily fish creeks in central Indiana and Primarily use trot-lines and limb-lines so I don't know how much help I could be to you since I've never been anywhere except the wabash twice (unprepared).. Bout the only "definate" answer is to look for cover, like rick said. I ALWAYS have excellent yields from near or on log jams/rock beds/pillars/ and or channels. Know your waters!! And remember that if you fish near these things, then fish UPCREEK from them so the smell/vibration will "flow" to em'! (always worked for me at least)Good luck and keep posted..

13. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ...Lol that reminds me of the first time I ever fished the river. I thought I was gonna hook a monster! But guess what.... I ended up catching a 6 ounce drum. Oh what a thrill! *cough*. haha.

Even though I didnt get what I wanted, I didnt quit. The biggest cat Ive caught out of the river so far is 6 lbs... Im still looking for that 35+ lb blue or flathead. :wink: