Not to be confused: A time O's and a time for J's

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Jan 19, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I have been looking through a lot of threads lately and noticing how many of you guys prefer circle hooks over J hooks. In my experiences with circle hooks I found a new hate for steel, moreso than any other steel made hook in my life. Whiff after whiff me and my partners could not figure out what was going wrong.:confused: Eventually it came to my attention that you do not set the hook when fishing with o's, instead a gentle sweeping motion is made after the fish has swam away with the bait.Unfortunately that does not work when you are fishing right up on log jams in a river. As I say there is a time for circle hooks and a time for J hooks. This was our time for J hooks. I guess the point I am trying to make is, don't quite fall into the circle hook thing if your not a bait clicker, open water kind of fisherman. Attempting to let a fish run on your bait to set itself on a circle hook will make you lose a lot of fish when there are nearby snags ! So if you plan on hitting those timbers on your favorite river, I recommend that you stick with what gotcha there, J hooks.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Most guys I know only use the clicker with circles in open water. I hardly ever use mine. I keep my line fairly tight so when they load the rod, they're hooked before they get anywhere. I use them around brush and snags all the time. Just me, but I don't think they get any further with a circle and a tight line/clicker disengaged than the would in the time it would take me to get to my rod and set the hook. I don't pay enough attention to use J hooks. Only time I ever seem to get a bite is when I'm answering natures call, fooling with my kid's pole, etc. :)

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    your right there is a time for them and a time for j's. at least for me. i never use a clicker with a circle unless i walk away from the pole for a "woods visit".

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is just me, but I think thats the problem: If at all possible dont use the clicker w/ circle hooks. You need to let the rod load up real well. The dran thing needs to look like its bending in half! Then just raise up on the rod & that cat should be hooked in the corner of its mouth.

I agree there are time where circles are not the best. In my opinon a reg hook is better when fishing w/ LARGE LIVE bait.

5. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    I can definitely say I have a lack of knowledge when it comes to circle hooks. I just can't stand the things.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Nick, I have always been a J-style man myself. I did experiment with circles just long enough to learn to hate them. These circle hook lovers are always talking about tightlining with circles and letting the fish hook hisself, From my experience the J-Style will also do the exact same thing if a fish pounds a bait hard. Then on the other hand if you have a finicky channel tap tap tapping with a J-Style you can pick up the rod and set into him. You can't do that with circles. Vern

7. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Amen, I agree with you 100 %. Every word of it.

8. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I agree that J hooks are good for catching fish, especially when they seem slow to bite. I would not say that a circle hook is better, but I really like the fact that they seldom get deep in the gullet of the cat. I release a lot of my cats and catching cats in the lip is sure easier for releasing them. With the J, I end up with cats hooked deep more often and must cut my line or keep the fish. Hannibal Mike

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I just love all of these circle hook / J hook threads. They all basically say the same thing in each and every one of them. The guys that know how to use the circles use the circles. The guy's that don't learn to use the circles stay away from them. As far as the excitement of setting the hook. There is NO WAY in heck you can say setting a hook is more exciting. Then watching a rod bend in half almost smacking the water because there is a 30# + blue that's screaming down river hooked. Yes it took me 2 summers of learning to use circles but I guarantee that not every circle hook is the same as well as J hooks. There are only one or two applications that I’ll use a J hook. One is when I have a big bait on that causes me to use my 12/0 big river gamma's. The other is when the bite is coming towards the rod instead of away mostly in lakes. As far as how affective circles are I was 100% on the Missouri river this past year for bites to hook up's on cats. There are only 2 basic rules to using circle hooks that you have to drive into your head. Don’t touch the rod until you know the fish is hooked and don’t use your clickers. Just make sure that your drag is set lose enough that a big fish can pull some out but still tight enough to hook him self. Oh yeah invest in some good solid rod holders them blues really slam a rod home.

10. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I find the argument good for both styles and while its not that I dont want to learn, its just in this part of my catfishing career, ( very early -first year) I still am not sold on it, I will experiment with them this year and hopefully build up some confidence with them but in my prior 25 years of experience has me setting the hook based on "feel" so that part about "setting the hook" I completely understand.

Keep the comments coming, its all good stuff even though this debate has been hashed out before.

Salmonid the Hook Setter

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I prefer kahle hooks over j hooks myself.With kahle hooks you get the best of both worlds,you can set the hook and cross there eyes or use it like a circle.But i use both kinds depending on the bait im using.

13. handlonhardpack

handlonhardpack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I HAVE TRIDE BOTH BUT FISHING IN THE OHIO J`s ARE MYFAVORITES

14. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    I have fished in open lake water and river jams and I like circles for both. Reel engaged, no clicker (most of the time) in a good sturdy rod holder so the rod can load up with fish and it can not possibly move. The drag set so that it will get max bend then brake free. I use to set and wait for the bite and then hopefully cross some eyes but I just aint that attentive. I always did the "crap should have set it" time and time again. I just like kicking back and waiting for the fish to do the work. There might be a time for either but I will stick with circles.

15. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

I am a meat fisherman and keep most fish below 20 lbs. I target Blues in the ten pound range and if asked anyone who knows me will tell you I do catch fish, though I do have my "skunked" days. I neither use circles or J's unless you consider a 5/0 Treble a "J".
    It is my belief that as soon as the fish exerts enough pressure to swallow my offering they are stuck! Very seldom do they get more than two barbs and I have never had a fish swallow a treble, course there's always "MOBY"
    I used circles one outing only because I had left my hook box in Verlons truck and caught one fish, though IMHO that was the exception to the rule with the size of baits I throw. So with that said I can only say to each his own, If you like 'em use 'em. What works for others won't work for everyone, that's why there are so many different styles/so many different fishes.

16. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Joe, what size baits do you throw that cant fit on a circle hook?

17. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have "mixed emotions" about circle hooks.....

I don't like them........but, then again..........

I just CAN'T STAND THEM!:D

18. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    I have to agree with Cataholic .I use treble hooks to never had a fish swallow it:0a23:

19. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Bill,
    I'll throw a half (front or back) a Skippy the size of your fist. I guess I could go with a bigger circle, then again I trust what works! Sides I'm not worried about sticking the critter I'm about to eat. I feel if you target a particular size that's what you get, though I realize "MOBY" might come along and inhale my offering past the point of no return and if that were to happen I'd take a picture and cut the line. Thanks for asking!

20. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I dunno about this talk about not haveing a cats swallow terble hooks its happend to me alot of times useing stink bait. My main hook box has at least 20 diffrent hooks / diffrent sizes. I use diffrent hooks for diffrent places and diffrent type / size of fish. When fishing for big blues I use circles the reason being ive usely got my line wwaaaayy out there and it seems hard to get a good hook set when you have alot of line out. I would also use them when im drifting with ballons for the same reason, i have alot of line out and cant get a good hook set. when im fishing a boat slip thats been baited out and im fishing straight down i use J's also use them when i fish with worms. only time i use trebles is when im useing stinkbait or when the current is really stong down at the spillway. IMO the best all around hook is the kahle