Not sure which battery to use

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by my4x4awd, Aug 24, 2006.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    I searched about this concern but wasn't sure of the advice. Can someone else help me. My project boat has the engine, nav lights, interior lights, biliage pump, live well pump and fish finder on the same battery. All the wiring is in the rear of the boat. I didnt consider this during the rebuild, now what do I do? I also have trolling motor battery on the bow. I dont have a issue buying another battery since the battery that came with the boat is bad. Should I just buy two batteries a starting and deep cycle? What should I wire to each battery. I also will be adding some lights for night fishing and a spot light for driving.

Thanks Craig

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If it was me I would boat motor and Navigation lights and bilge. When you get most boats stock they come like that. Fishfinder interior lights and trolling motor on the trolling motor battery. Anything I have ever heard is that you are suppose to use deep cycles for both. I could be wrong though

3. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I know a lot of people would disagree but my 1996 bass boat came with everything running of the cranking battery except for the trolling motor which is a 24Volt job. I've only had battery problems one time and that was because I didn't run the big motor very much and used the trolling motor most of the time.

Since then if I notice not running the big motor much, I'll throw the charger on my cranking battery. When fishing at night again I hook my spotlight to the cranking battery since most of the time the motor is running if I need the spotlight, I also use a propane lantern for additional light if needed.

Keep in mind, I have a 120 hp Force that cranks easy so it might not have a drain on a battery like some other motors.

Now if I had a few other battery powered lights or ran a stereo or something like that I might would think about switching things around a little.

4. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    Brother I feel your pain and I have the answer. I just bought a new boat, first boat I might add, back in May. I bought a Hurricane Deck Boat and all came with the 115HP engine, lights all over, livewell, depth finder, bilge pumps and additional outlets to plug in 12v electronics like a DVD player for the kids, and it all runs off of one battery. I'm not sure the brand or type but I can get back with you on that if you need more info.

After I bought the boat I immediately wanted to start adding on things and one of the first things was a trolling motor. Of course I had the same questions and concerns as you do. I called all over from the place I boat the boat at, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, and Minn Kota directly. All of them told me that I need to get a seperate battery for the trolling motor as I didn't want the trolling motor hooked up to the cranking battery as I could find myself out on the lake with a drained battery.

The next question I had was what is the right size of battery and how many do I need. The answer from all was that I needed one battery for every 12v on the trolling motor. 12v=1 battery, 24v=2 batteries, 36v=3 batteries.

Now I needed to buy the batteries but I wasn't willing to spend $150+ for one battery which alot of the places sell those. I think those batteries are for the very, very serious tournament ba$$ fisherman. So I looked around and found they sell the exact type of batteries I was looking for at Wally World for about $45 each. They all say "Marine Deep Cycle" and specifically say "Trolling Motor, blah, blah, blah" on them. To me those will work for what I'm doing and will get me around.

What ever you do, do not hook your trolling motor up to your cranking battery as it will drain it and you might get stuck somewhere. Good luck and let me know what you come up with!!! TNBIGCAT

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Conventional battery for your big motor,bilge pump and lights. This type battery will give you more cranking power over a longer time than a deep cycle battery. Also, the conventional battery does not like to be run down and kept in a discharged state. To do so will severly shorten it's useful life.

Deep cycle batteries are designed to be run down and come back to full useful life with a full charge.

The best thing you can do for your batteries is get a good charger. One that will cut back to a trickle charge once the battery is fully charged. They can be somewhat pricey, but consider your investment in the batteries. A good proper charger will give you full life on your batteries AND help you to be worry free.

Hope this helps.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    This horse has been ridden hard many times here and the library might help you a lot.In any case let me try and help a little bit by expanding on what others have already said.First you can use deep cycle batteries in the starting application.In fact most of the good companies make batteries with this dual capabilty.NO BATTERY, deep cycle or otherwise likes to be left discharged.To do so for any period of time causes sulfation of the plates and eventual death.Deep cycles are designed to be DISCHARGED many times but not kept discharged.Regular batteries are NOT designed to be fully discharged many times at all.Dual purpose deep cycles will be identified as such.I see no mention of what type or horsepower outboard you have.This is important because the new injected computer driven engines require much higher cranking amps than the older engines.My 200 Optimax requires 1000 cranking amps for instance.DO use two batteries one in the starting, lights etc role and the other for the trolling motor.For both I would get the max cranking amps and the most reserve minutes.The battery I use has 220 minutes of reserve power.That is how long it will sustain a 25 amp draw.That is 3hrs 40 minutes of sustained draw which is a lot.Generally you are going to get the most blast for you buck from series 31 size batteries.Cranking amps,reserve minutes etc are a shopping around issue.One good point already made is get a good charger but not one with a trickle mode.They will boil a lead acid battery to death.What you want is one of the new 3 phase chargers that SHUTS OFF when full charge is reached then passively monitors the battery until it falls below a certain level then comes back on.I wont even get into types of batteries ie lead acid AGM etc unless the thread continues.Hope this helps.:big_smile: :smile2:

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

This is how I've wired all the boats I've had. I want the essentials I need to get me home on my starting battery and everything else on the trolling battery.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have one Bat. for starting and trim and a deep cycle for the rest. I have not had any problems with that set up. Hope that helps.\Bill