Not sure if it would have helped or not...

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by KansasKatter, May 7, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    With severe storms and tornadoes predicted for our area over the weekend, I was at a quandrey as to what to do with my boat. I did not really have any place to take it to store it, that would have been any safer than where it was. I thought about chaining it to a tree, but figured if it did get bad and it was whipping around it would be in worse shape if it were just flying through the air or whatever.

So I simply put the plug in, took everything out of it, and filled it up with water about a foot or so. That should add about 4200 lbs to the boat, and at least help to hold it down during a severe storm or tornado.

Thankfully we did not have to find out, unlike those poor people to the west of us. Man that is terrible.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Jeff, I know you were faced with a difficult decision, and I'm not faulting your course of action, but check your axle, to make sure it's not bent.

I learned the hard way.:sad2:

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    CRAP! I did not think of that, I will check tonight. Next time it will be jack stands under the trailer frame!

Thanks!

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Take a hint from your local airport.
    Planes are tied down.

A little concrete in the ground with a 4 inch piece of pipe to the lawn elevation and an eye bolt hidden away below the surface of the yard in the pipe.
    Run right over it with the lawnmower like nothing is there.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

Great idea! I will keep that in mind on my new place, will work for the travel trailer too!

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Take pictures. It would be a nice library addition.:big_smile:

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Will do, my wife will think I am crazy. I have a bunch of the anchors from doing engineering work out at Boeing. We tore out a bunch of the old paving along the original WWII hangers, where they assembled bombers. I use them for trotline weights.

Never dawned on me to use them for this! :eek:oooh:

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i just park mine by the shed. I figure that if God wants to take my boat away then that means he wants me to have a new one!

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I figure if something is strong enough to lift my 2500lb boat and trailer away then it was meant to be. Its a great idea to put the concrete in the ground though, never though of that. I live on the NC coast line and the biggest threat here is hurricanes, so you can bet if there is an evacuation the boat is coming with me.

10. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    You can get the screw in anchors like they use on mobile homes pretty cheap. The ones that I installed I rented a gas powered auger and screwed them into the ground. They went right in, roots and rocks didn't seem to bother them. On the top of the anchor is an eyelet that can accept a metal band, rope or cable.

I have one of them installed at each corner of my portable buildings. I ran steel cables from the anchors across the roof held in place by staples. The reason for all this is that in 1998 I had a 12 x 12 outbuilding that was lifted and thrown 200 yards into the woods by a tornado. Strange thing but a BBQ grill sitting on the deck 85 yards away was still there. A small chicken house was never found even though I searched the entire area.

If it were me I would run four screw augers into the ground and strap the boat and trailer to them. If you ever move they will screw out the ground the same way unless they get really rusty.

11. George Graham

George Graham New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think you are right about how much good filling your boat would have done if in path of tornado.

Anchoring doesn't seem to help much with mobile homes or regular buildings, for that matter.

However, this would probably help a great deal with just strong gusts and such in thunderstorms.

I live among a bunch of trees and usually the wind stays up on top, so far anyway. Hope it continues to do so.

Hope you never find out how good whatever you choose works.

George