Not quite a Channel Catfish, but a sturgeon!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by hanson, Apr 28, 2006.

1. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    An awesome fish regardless!

I spent last weekend fishing the Rainy River/Lake of the Woods in northern Minnesota for Lake Sturgeon. There is an awesome springtime bite for sturgeon going on right now!! Our boat landed quite a few with this fish being one of the biggest!

It measured 58" with a 25" girth and pulled the scale at 53 pounds! They do get bigger up there however. A buddy of mine in the boat landed a 61" the day before.

Attached Files:

2. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Congrads on the fish :lol: :lol::big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

3. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice fish Chris ! I've never had the pleasure of hooking up with a sturgeon. Are they scrappy fighters? or kind of like a heavy carp?
    I've seen the video's of the huge ones being caught on heavy tackle, and they look like they fight like a sluggish heavyweight. I would think that the smaller ones would be a lot of fun. Nice catch :smile2:

4. CharlieD

CharlieD New Member

State:
    Lincoln,Ar
    They are a lot of fun. I used to live in Minn. We fished lake of the Lake of the woods for Walleyes. One of My fishing buddies caught and landed a 60 Lb'er 61 Inch using a 5 1/2 foot spinning rod loaded with 6 Lb line. It took about an Hour. .Lots of fun. Congrats.

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    awesome fish, they taste good too! :smile2:

6. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    LOL! I'm not sure about them tasting good! Thought never crossed my mind.

The sturgeon fishing is catch & release only right now. When the season is open, you are allowed 1 fish per year within the length requirements. You get a tag and you have to register the fish with the DNR.

The fight? I would say it is pretty incredible. They don't want to come off of the bottom. So basically its hold on until they tire. Whenever you start to get line back on a bigger one, they'll turn tail and run again. Alot of the time you are circling the boat with the fish and we had one wrap the anchor rope twice! It took me about 20-30 minutes to get that 53 pounder into the boat on pretty heavy catfishing gear.

7. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Congrats on the fish! I hear those things get to look liek sharks eventually! I would love to get a hook in one of those things mouths lol... unfortunately long island freshwater fishin sucks *sigh. Cant wait 1 more year upstate NY fo college baby! bring on them cats :lol:
    Joe

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    take and cube up the sturgeon and dip the pieces into a beer batter and deep fry em yum yum.

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    nice fish, I've heard those things are real beasts on the end of your line.:big_smile:

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great catch. They are protected around here, we have a few in Lake Erie but thats it. I wish they would be C&R only. Those things used to be much more plentifull, until they were darn near gone, right?

Great catch, looks like your extremley happy!

11. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Four ft.- 6ft. legal(keeper) limit size here. June the "Boss" sturgeon make their way up the Columbia River from the Pacific Ocean at Astoria to Portland, Oregon. You'd be hard pressed to catch the legal size here during that month, they are ALL much larger. Seven to 10fters. is the norm, some larger. You hook-up, drop the anchor and chase your fish from the Oregon side to the Washington side and back again. None of this sit and reel stuff, they would flat spool you in the first 10min. Run on the bottom, stick their nose under a rock and rest, use the current, 70ft.-200ft.depth, smart, tuff, bad fish. Not a bone in them, all white meat, smoked, fried, deep fat, left over, so good. May-July-August, best time to catch keepers. Sand shrimp, eel, dew worms, shad, the bait of choice. You gotta try just one.
    Don

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great catch for sure, the O.D.N. Just started stocking sturgeon back into the scioto river here in ohio.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes I heard that too but how many? I bet a handfull at best!

14. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey, i saw a report a short while ago that the seals had moved inland and were eating/attacking the large sturgeon just below the dam. Saw some video clip that was from one of the Portland, Or tv stations.
    Any more info about the seals eating up the sturgeon there?

cyas
    rc

15. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :eek:oooh: That's a nice one Chris - "Way-to-go"! :0a23:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2:
    (Shaina)

16. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Great fish Chris! I've never caught a sturgeon before, but I would love to try someday. Thanks for sharing the pics and story.

What does one use for bait to entice a sturgeon? And what were you using?

17. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I've caught nice Sturgeon at Astoria Oregon on the Columbia River, these fish fight great can get to be absolute monsters and taste simular to halibut, no real bones all cartilidge. For best result you need to remove the spinal cord before cutting the fish because the cord can taint the meat. You cut the head around the spinal cord and snap the neck and pull the cord out of the fish it will be like a long elastic cord and about 2-3 time the size of the fish. The meat is dense and mild tasting, compared to cats the flats would be the closest. These fish are worth targeting because of the quality of the meat. Check regs I'm pretty sure 6' and bigger my be released because of the caviar quanity.

18. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Pretty simple... Nightcrawlers and lots of them!!! We were hooking 3-4 crawlers on the hook at a time. Cast out and let it sit on the bottom.

4 Mile Bay on Lake of the Woods is right where the Rainy River dumps into the big lake. There is a deeper river channel in the bay where the sturgeon definitely relate to. Lots of boats fish there or you can even fish in the river itself focusing on the deeper holes.

The really strange thing is how light biting they are. You would think a 50lb fish wouldn't bite light but you absolutely have to be watching rod tips and line for any sort of twitch or movement out of the ordinary. When you think you detect a bite, you have to pick the rod out of the holder and pretend your walleye fishing for a moment and really feel for the fish. Then set the hook.

19. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Nice catch hanson

I'm still praying for a Sturgeon, our laws in California are ever changing with those fish and i'm not sure you can even keep one anymore this year they've made some changes due to low fish population.

20. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Seen pictures of those fish up there, biggest sturgeon i've even seen