Not new to catfishing; new to the types of rigs

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by gportsbaseball, Sep 4, 2008.

1. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    ok so ive been catfishing nearly my whole life, haha. But i am still a bit confused on how to use the big slip bobbers, or the bobbers with the little ball that comes off the top off them(looks like a slide bobber) like wut materials should i buy to setup at least 2 rods with these bobbers?

If any1 could help me out and tell me how to rig these(weights used, depth,ex.) how deep to fish with these(pictures and very good descriptions are appriciated!) Im trying to land my first flathead, and i want to make it a big one! :-]

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If you look in the member library you can find tons of info on rigs. I think the "ball" you are referring to is the use of a straw in conjunction with a slip float. Basically you have a slip float 6 to 12 inches in length, then above the slip float is a straw like piece of plastic with a styrofoam head on it. All it does is keep your line from dropping down next to your bobber, allowing your bait fish to tie you a nice little knot.:confused2:....Above the straw will be a bead and your bobber stop that you can set at the depth you desire. Below the slip float will be a leader tied with the line weight of your choice and length of your choice. Best to stay about the same length of the float or close to it so it does not wrap you up during the cast. Sinker size is something you will have to experiment with depending on your float size, you just want the float to stand up straight, it also helps you determine depth when on the bank. keep moving your bobber stop up in 1 foot increments or so and cast until it lays down on top of the water, then bring it up a foot or so and you are right on the bottom, make sense?:eek:oooh:....Check the library, that needs to be your first stop when looking for different rigs, alot of good info in there. Good luck:wink:

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    As far as your depth, I am no expert, but I would fish deep during the day, and shallow at night. Good place to start

4. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    thanks a ton!

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Justin, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library a lot of good info in there.

Good to see a youngster getting involved in the outdoors. Heres some of the ways I use corks for catfishing.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60509