not much talk about this giant

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by oakland river rat, Nov 21, 2007.

1. oakland river rat

oakland river rat New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    I wonder why this flathead doesn't get much press? It looks a lot bigger than that one snagged in Arkansas.

This monster 157# Flathead was caught several years back below the dam at Lake Livingston Texas! Anglers unknown

http://webpages.charter.net/doponder/157flathead.jpg

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jerry, The sad fact is that even people on this site do not believe there are cats out ther over 150lbs. Where as I have read numerous accounts of 200+lb Flatheads and 400+ lb Blue cats in the past. After the civil war, expansion came to the Mississippi and Missouri, and Ohio. Which brought industry that fouled the water, and fishermen that netted the water to near death, like the hunters did to the Buffalo on the land. These fish have the genetics and propensity to grow large. All we have to do is limit the catch rates of the largest fish. In 20 years we could be catching 200+ lb fish on a rod and reel. Or even a limbline or trot line, if we just reduce the number of large cats we take from the water. Would you like to catch a 200lb flathead someday? I know I'd be hard for a month after that lol.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Typically, if its not caught on a rod and reel, it doesn't get much notice.
    That goes for any species of fish.

4. oakland river rat

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    My ol'man use to catch 60 and 70 pounders out of Perry Lake here in Kansas 30 some years ago.........I'd like to think some might have grown and are still around.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The Mississippi has 300lb Blues in it right now. There may be only a couple but, 5 yrs ago nobody would have thought A 124lb blue was possible. Yet we have one on record now. We also have a 123lb Flathead caught in 1998. (I know it was caught with a crappie jig on a Snoopy pole.) I personally think it was dying the day he caught it. But the day before it was caught, it was alive and swimming around the lake. Once you get to 125lbs, it aint much of a stretch to get to 200 is it? Maybe 3 years? Think about it folks before you kill that blue or flat.

6. oakland river rat

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    "Tom Frederick from Wedgefild, South Carolina caught this huge flathead on a trotline. He estimated its weight at 135 LBS and it was 6 feet, 4 inches long. He said it took them two hours go get it to shore."
    http://z.about.com/d/fishing/1/0/A/i/santeecooperflathead.jpg

This fish is big, but doesn't look 6 feet.

7. oakland river rat

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
  8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Does anyone know Tom? Maybe he's 6ft tall, 135 is not much more than 123. What 12lbs? I can get a pumkin that weighs 12lbs lol. Put it in the fishes mouth, hang it from the rafter lol. If you all don't believe in 200lb Flatheads please get off this thread lol. Within the next 10 years a 200 pounder will be caught. So mark this down all the Flathead haters LOL. You heard it here first. I won't be the one to catch it but caught it will be lol. That's my homage to Yoda.

9. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey Jerry; Those are some Big Flatheads. Too bad they killed them. I think most people on this site would rather see them released.

To me Flatheads are the" KING!" of fresh water fish. I love to catch them but I cant kill them anymore.

FLATHEADS RULE!!!!!...

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I agree with Steve, its a shame those big fish don't get released to grow even larger. The flathead is the king of freshwater fish. TO many people fish for blues because they can catch more of them and they are easier to catch. Maybe one of these days we will see more 100lb plus flatheads than we do. But people all over the country need to quit thinking about thereselves and food and start releasing these giant fish. The flathead from santee is kinda questionable, a fish that is 74" long and weighs only 135. That thing would have been anorexic. No doubt its big, but how big who knows. Jerrry those fish are nice you and your dad catch, I talked to CD last night and he sent me a pic of an 80lber he caught on rodnreel recently, only to have one of the locals on the kaw catch it a week later on a trotline and kill it, I won't name any names on here who caught it and kept it.:angry:

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I believe there is a flathead somewhere in a river or lake in this country that is 200lbs.

And if people would start CPRing monster fish, it would give one of us a chance to catch that fish when it's bigger.

You have to remember that fish keep growing until the day it dies. Not many animals on the Earth can do that.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    This pic is not right. The man has been cut and pasted on there. Blow it up real big and you can see he is cropped from another pic.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Wow that is a big flathead.

14. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Isn't Donnie ponder the same guy that holds the state record for a Tx Gar

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    That's the first time I have heard of this fish? Was it officially weighed?

16. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I used to keep bigger catfish but in the last 7 years I CPR them so maybe I can catch them later when they have grown even more. I only hope to be able to hook into a 100# plus monster someday.

17. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ozzy is right this pic is photo shopped big time. I think that is about a 10# fish blown up to look the same size as the guy. Look at the sting hanging the fish from the ceiling what is that 20# test bearing the weight of a 100+ lb fish. Besides a fish 6'-4" long should be pushing 200# or even more in my opinion. I do think fish that big are out there all be it VERY RARE but this ain't it!

18. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i've just started a new policy for the people that fish from my boat and lost a friend over it. The new rule is no fish over 10lbs gets kept. My friend said " if its on my rod, i get to decide whether i keep it or not" i told him " thats true, but ur gonna have to swim back with him, cuz i wont take him to shore."
    This conversation all happened when i released the last big fish i caught the 30lb 8oz blue, he said i should keep it but there was no way i was gonna. that fish was completely healthy, hooked right in the side of the mouth, and i want to catch him again when he is 10lbs heavier.
    I think there will be alot more big fish caught when my generation makes up the majority of the fishing population. It has been my experience that the baby boomers are not conservationalists when it comes to fishing.
    I know i will catch alot of Flak over this but it is my opinion, and i felt like sharing.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    James, I have the same policy on my boat. If a guy wants to keep a couple 3 fish under 10lbs to eat I can handel that. Anything over 10 (unless it is gut hooked or gill hooked and looks as if it will die anyway) goes back. I fished with my cousin for 35yrs, when I started catching 20+ lb flats I told him they all had to go back with a video or photo. He informed me that if he caught a 40lb fish it was going on his wall. He hasn't been in my boat in the last 5 years. And I don't think I'll ever ask him again. I tried to tell him that that wouldn't be the last 40+ pounder he ever caught if he fished with me, but that just didn't register. I get more awestruck comments from non-catfishermen when I tell them, I just take these photos and let them go, than I ever would if I said I kept them all. Usually the next thing out of their mouth is " where did you catch and release it? And How did you do it? I can't say for sure if any of those guys went out afterwards and tried to catch a Flathead, but I can say if some guy had showed me those pics, I'd have been out there looking for them alot sooner than I was lol.

20. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    That last pic, aint no Flat head, that's a FAT HEAD.lol