Not much of a fine for selling fish to paylakes

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Aug 3, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we all know the huge problem we have of our trophy fish being sold to paylakes.

Below is a reort from a sting operation by the ODNR in 2002, they only got a 250 dollar fine, and I would imagine thee jsil sentance was reduced,

with fines like this these guys doing this have no fear...And it tokk several years to get the evidence, can you imagine how many trophy fish we lost in this several year time frame.

OPERATION MUDCAT” NETS 45 INDIVIDUALS FOR ILLEGAL SELLING AND TAKING OF OHIO GAME FISH
    Ninety citations issued in 13 southern and western Ohio counties

COLUMBUS, OH - Forty-five individuals in 13 counties were cited on Saturday for the illegal taking and selling of game fish, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife. State wildlife investigators may file additional charges.

“The illegal taking and selling of game fish exploits a public resource,” said Mike Budzik chief of ODNR's Division of Wildlife. “We cannot allow a public resource to be abused for personal gain.”

Wildlife officers charge the individuals involved were illegally removing game fish, most of which were catfish, from Ohio streams and illegally selling them to commercial, recreational fishing operations.

Ninety citations have been filed for violations including the purchase of game fish, selling of game fish, selling bait without a bait dealer license, aiding an offender, possession over the limit and illegal method of taking game fish. Investigators expect to file as many as 100 additional charges once the seized records are examined and follow-up interviews are conducted.

Wildlife officers have been building the case they dubbed "Operation Mudcat " for several years. Most of the charges are fourth degree misdemeanors and concern the illegal sale and purchase of game fish. Penalties for illegally taking and selling game fish include a $250 fine, 30 days in jail and loss of fishing privileges. The investigation covered 13 counties including Brown, Butler, Clark, Clermont, Hamilton, Highland, Jackson, Lawrence, Montgomery, Pike, Preble, Scioto and Warren.

-30-

For additional news online, check out the ODNR Press Room at Ohiodnr.com

For Further Information Contact:
    Tim Schalter, ODNR Division of Wildlife
    (937) 372-9261
    -or-
    Andy Ware, ODNR Media Relations
    (614) 265-6882

Back to ODNR Home Page • State Front Page

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    No wonder they keep doing it.:angry::angry::angry:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Personally, I think it should be a felony.

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Anything done to PURCHASERS of the fish ? The owners of the operations ie paylakes should also be tagged and yes stiffer fines !

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    That was the sting i was talkin about awhile back....there is a new paypond opening up out side of oakhill, and they are looking to buy Big Cats, from what i heard they are paying 3 $ a pound:sad2:

6. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :smile2::eek:oooh::angry: no not a felony the death pently on the spot :crazy::crazy: did i say that :smile2::smile2::wink::wink: yes i did cause they are taking are public fish and selling :angry::angry: they are the scum of the earth :sad2::sad2: i am ranting sorry

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Fines have went up since 2002 but this is still totally wrong that a commercial place of business can pretty much walk.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    man, i was having a great day until i read this. 250 bucks thats sickening:sad2:

9. shotscott

shotscott New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    That is so sad, I'll bet it cost more to fund the operation than they will recoup in fines. And we the people lose again.:sad2:

10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With a fine that is not anymore than a slap on the hand maybe we need to be pushing for stiffer penalties and fines for the buyers and sellers. :angry::angry: But then again with out the inforcement of these laws what differense does it make??? :angry::embarassed:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They should atleast spend 12 months behind bars. Loose their liscense for 12 years and pay a 3000 fine or if caught with alot of fish, they should be charged 200 bucks each. And the paylake should be drained and all fish should he let go into public waterways. JMO

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    well,if they gathered all that info.they should be able to calculate the cost of the fish,and they would probably get charged with grand theft.and it should be a hell of a lot stiffer penalty because they are stealing from us all,and not just one or two individuals.heck,get caught without a license,they can take your vehicle if they like.they should take every bit of their equipment and banned from having any more of any equipment they could use for the means of commercial fishing.

they are aware and know what they are doing is illegal,they shouldn't get a chance to do it again,at least.

to sell a fish to use as a tool for personal gain,without getting anything in return,except to live in a lake with maybe little or no structure.......couldn't that be a form of slavery.................:roll_eyes:

13. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    If you got caught doing that out here in California :eek:oooh: You'd be saying good by to your loved one's for a LONGGGGGGG TIME ...They DFG does not put up with that crap up here and you lose everything boat truck poles anything fishing related and of course your freedom.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That sting operation should have been covered by their salary they would have been paid anyway.:confused2: I would think.:wink:

15. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I bet that $250 fine is per offense. In a 2 year investigation how many offenses do you have? It's the same as the snagging walleyes up here in the spring. If you have a stringer with 6 snagged fish on that is 6 fines, not 1. Someone mentioned 90 violations earlier, that could be almost $250,000 in fines.

16. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    [​IMG]at this something:eek:oooh:

17. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    sorry folks:confused2:

18. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    well the people that are doing it are gonna jump at that chance...AQrond me there are no pay lakes so i dont really have to worry around me too much...but you guys man you guy i would be PI**%# If i were you!!!:angry::angry::angry:

19. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Should be a felony, definitely.
    I wonder if the fine is $250 a fish or $250 for just getting caught in general.
    That's a small price to pay when you're setting up lines with 50 - 100 hooks.