Not Much Luck

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Jan 19, 2009.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    My nephew, Beau, came up to my house around 10 AM on Friday and we loaded up my camping gear in my old truck and headed out to Blythe.
    He had this new Marlin Mod.# 917 .17HMR rifle that I gave him a scope for and he wanted to try them out.
    We got out to the Palo Verde area about 3 PM and cruised around looking for some likely areas for rabbits and for fishing in the outflow ditch.
    The water level was about 1-1/2 foot down in the drain, never seen it that low.
    Found plenty of fresh bunny tracks in a few places but didn't eyeball any of them.
    Drove up to B&B and picked up some Good sized GF for bait then went over to mayflower and set up our tent.
    Went back down to the P.V. drain and put some bait out for about three hours with no interest from the fish. Seemed to be a little current but nothing like normal. Gave it up about 11, it was getting pretty cool out even with our little fire so back to camp we went.
    5:30 AM and back out in the cold. Drove through Blythe with a stop to get a cuppa and a unscheduled conversation with a Highway Patrol officer due to my muddleheaded driving before I had coffee in me. Fortunately, he was satisfied to just chastise me verbally and didn't give me the ticket that I really deserved.
    Out along the base of the mesa west of the Palo Verde Valley we started a foot patrol of an area a couple of miles long.
    It seemed to me there was an awful lot of traffic running around out there for this time of year.
    Seems I had overlooked the fact that the late season for Quail was in full swing and there were plenty of guys and dogs out trying to get a handful of those Gambols.
    Needless to say they had the rabbits so spooked that they were in hiding.
    We never got an opportunity to miss one of the little hoppers.
    After a few hours of riding around and walking through brush we gave it up for the day and went back to camp.
    We tried again late after noon north of our camp but it was pretty much the same thing. Quail hunters driving all the roads with 4x4s and quads running through the brush.
    We went back to camp to pick up our bait bucket and have a bite (nothing interesting just canned fare), then went up river along the main canal as far as we could drive to just a few hundred yards below the diversion dam.
    We put out our goldfish and after about 45 minutes Beau gets a little run and grabs his pole.
    I told him to wait so he stood there holding his rod until it took a couple of more small runs and then when I said okay he set the hook (not a circle hook) and started hollering he got him. He pulled it in and I netted it. It was a small flathead about 5lbs, no monster by any means but it was his first flathead ever.
    We waited another couple of hours for another one to come along but it turned out to be fruitless.
    We gave another try for the bunnies in the morning and actually saw one run across in front of my truck while I was pulling up to park but that was it.
    We went back loaded up our camp and drove home.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Awesome detailed report Tom. Your nephew first flat must been nice to see:wink:

3. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Good report. I have one of those HMRs. Nice lil pea shooter and the price for them aint all that bad. The only thing I dont like about it is the trigger pull, it's a lil to stiff for me.
    All the waters in that area is pretty low. Wont be soon b4 they open the gates again. Quial season will be over soon and the bunnies will be back in full swing.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :worship: Hey Tom - "I got to put you down as one of the best at giving reports of your fishing trips".
    "Good Job"
    But
    You & I both know that you are going to make up for it at the "Mendota" or "Ca/Az" Gathering this year - right? :confused2:
    (You always do):0a23:
    :wink:

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Much as I'd like to say I'll be there, I can't at this time.
    Just have to wait until I see how the cash situation is when the time comes.

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yeah I feel ya on the cash thing Tom. I have to slow down as well and also have to make a trip to Atlanta shortly after the Az/CA gathering to look at some property there if I decide to move. Well see. Seems like all my family is jetting out of Ca. LOL.

Good to get on a Janauary flathead they should still be able to get caught as our weather is not as frigid as it is in the rest of the country. I may even start going that way in March maybe.

What was the night temp like around there?

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Days right around 80, nights cooled down quick to low 40s by 10-11 Pm.
    I take those instant fire logs cause you can just set them on the ground where you're at, they light quick and are good for a couple to three hours each or you can break 'em in two for less time. They provide a nice source of heat and a little light with out any fuss.
    We were staying out long enough to burn a couple them each night.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thats not so bad I guess especially with the burning logs. At least the channels can still be caught during the day time as well. Did you try to go after bait or did you just use goldfish. I notice during the winter thru early spring that the goldfish they have seems to be pretty big but I attribute that to the lack of people actually buying them during the winter and they seem to get smaller as the season for flatheads progresses. I came across some real fatties early April.

9. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    We spent so much time looking for bunny sign that we really didn't try to catch bait.
    Not only that but you're right about the size of those winter GF they were real fatties.
    I picked up a dozen (B&B gave me a bakers. They also had shiners in small and med.) the first night and they kept just fine in my unaerated float bucket we kept back at the camp , Sunday morning when we decided to go home we tossed 5 nice lively baits.

10. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    OUTSTANDING REPORT SIR!!!!!! Sorry you didnt get any hoppers,, maybe next time.

11. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    I've never fished the Blythe area.

Can anyone recommend a good RV park?

Any other Area TidBits would be Much Appreciated Also!

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
  13. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
  14. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  15. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yep lots of good campgrounds! Look for inside bends or structure... in this river you might need to redefine structure .. it's there though!

16. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    That is supposed to say outside bends lol. Sorry.