Not Indiana but an interesting

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by skippi2use, Oct 23, 2009.

1. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    article that I found in doing some research. I am doing more searching. The affects of not having commercial fishing and weights that fish can gain with good amounts of food resources which many of our rivers do not have. Except on the ohio and lower white and wabash. I found it interesting. Mostly because it seems that virgina does good studies.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/conditions/tidal-river-blue-catfish-report.pdf

2. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    great post

4. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Shane you mentioned the lower Wabash for better food resources.Up here in wabash, huntington counties if the state or local clubs were to stock this stretch of the river with cats would it do any good or would they just migrate to the lower part of the river?

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good post skippi, thanks for the link!

bruce, our rivers up here(northern IN.) are chock full of shad and suckers and carp,so there is plenty of food for the cats. i cant see a reason for stocking cats in our rivers. channel cats(which are the most common) are very prolific breeders and usually dont need stocking to maintain a good population. we dont have many blues because they are better suited to large rivers such as the lower bash and ohio. stocking blues in the big three reservoirs around you mite be a good thought though. flathead numbers seem to be just as they should be,IMO.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  6. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man I found many more terrific articles, more on the scientific mode but they are such a hard read I decided not to post them. Still lookin because I have seen some terrific ones in the past that I cannot find now.

7. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man I have no idea just have nothing better do with my time than study catfish and bait, producing protiens and lipids. What I have found in my short non scientific study is that, bait fish high in (protein and fats} produce the bigger fish.
    I am always trying to learn all I can about the fish I hunt. Not sure if it helps or not but I enjoy it. I also no that allot of people dont have the time to hunt for stuff so im just throwing out articles I find interesting. Being mr. mom isnt all bad. Men arent built to deal with kids like women are. Being laid off for the first time in my life gives me even more respect for what my wife has done for 12 years now. Dont get me wrong I love hangin out with the kids but man it mentally drains me when they arent gettin along. I always thought twins would get along great. Man was I wrong.

8. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Tim you get out a lot more than I do so I'm sure you know more about the state of our waters than I do. That idea about blues in the resv. I hadn't given any thought to. Might perk up the interest in cats here about.

9. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
  10. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Great post Shane, some interesting reads there!!

11. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
  12. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    Shane I found it interesting that they said blues were not suited to eat hard shell crabs. Blues Ive caught and had in the livewell have puked up zebbra mussels, snails and other hard shell mussels. Granted there not as bigs as crabs but in my oppinion I think they are cappable of diggesting prey such as those. Whats your thought? Thanks for info Shane, I thought I was the only blue cat research frreak out there but I think you have me beat by a mile.

13. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    when I saw this. There is no dought, if they can eat hand size mussles, I would think they could eat anything. Including small turtles.LOL I have a book link I will send you email later today when I get home.

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bruce, the catfish populations up in the upper Wabash are pretty good. Although, if you look at the DNR survey results they really don't catch many catfish (channels or flatheads) and it looks like populations aren't that good. This is a bit misleading. Because of logistical reasons, and the fact the the typical Wabash River fisheries survey up here is a "general" survey not targeted at any one species, the DNR typically electrofishes around boat ramps. They put in at a ramp, electrofish for maybe a half hour upstream & then electrofish another half hour back downstream to the ramp. From my experience on the upper Wabash, to find decent catfish habitat you need to go a ways beyond the ramps! Regardless, the general surveys provide a nice snapshot in time that you can compare to years past & still get an idea of how the population is doing - compared to previous years.

Stocking more cats up here could actually hurt populations. More mouths to feed typically means growth rates will decrease & it will take longer for the fish to grow to an acceptable size.

[on soap box] I've never been a big fan of stocking. All though it certainly has its place in fisheries management, I feel like we would be better off if that $$ was spent improving habitat or something. I also think that stocking often creates an unfair expectation on a fishery. For example, I grew up in Pennsylvania where there is a ton of trout fishing. The Fish Commission has stocked trout forever and often times in marginal waters ("put & take" fisheries) where trout would not survive naturally. People can go out on the first day of trout catch a limit in 20 minutes, take them home, then go back out & catch another limit. Then, at one point the PFBC [at least] talked about reducing stocking b/c of budget reasons and people freaked out b/c they knew they wouldn't be able to go to that stream & catch a free lunch. People got mad at the PFBC...but their favorite stream probably wouldn't have trout if it wasn't for the PFBC in the first place! I'm I making sense? I guess I have a problem with stocking when it turns into an expectation for a free meal. Are the natural resource agencies in the business of providing sportfishing opportunities or feeding people? (I have NO problem with people keeping fish to eat...just with providing people with fish in a barrel).

Whoa...I apologize for the rambling!

15. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Shane if you want scientific articles try the google scholar search engine. You will only get peer reviewed articles from this.

16. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I guess he means they don't have the proper mouth to crush crabs? I've had the pleasure of having my thumb in the mouth of a small 5 pound channel when it decided to get tight-lipped. I can't imagine that a blue couldn't do some damage to a crab shell! Like the zebra mussels & other mussels you guys mentioned, the blues probably just swallow them whole & let the stomach juices do the work. I know some species of sturgeon eat mussels whole & then crap out the shell...bet that feels good.

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane thanks for sharing the good post and links. Good information.

18. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    And how can I relate this to watching my depth finder?