Not happy fish batter...

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by bnt55, Jul 15, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I decided to treat some of our church friends to a catfish dinner the other day and while I was at the store I bought 2 different kinds of fish coating, 1 was Louisiana fish fry with lemon added (yellow bag) and the other was Uncle Bucks original seasoning. I fried up 2 diff batches in Canola oil and was somewhat dissapointed by the tastes, everyone seemed to agree that the fish had an earthy (dirt) taste and I think it was coming from the corn meal in the mixes? The catfish was bought at a grocery store and was real fresh and very white with no bad odors or feeling, so I dont think it was the fish. I still have half bags left of the fish fry mixes and I dont think I want to use them anymore, maybe something with a little spice/bite might help or I should probably keep trying out different fry mixes. What do all you professional cooks think?

Bill

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For a dry mix, I prefer Andy's. It can be had in regular and red (cajun). We get ours at Rural King, but can probably be found about anywhere.

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Bill, if I were you I'd wet my finger (two different times :big_smile:) and stick it in the dry mixes. You should be able to taste the dirt taste that way if those are what caused it.

IMO, I doubt that's what it is. I bet it was the fish.

But, it might be possible that those coatings are old, had been on the shelf too long. Also could be possible they were stored somewhere they got damp, and thus might have a mildewy taste.

Bear mentioned Andy's, and I've seen quite a few BOC members say they like that. I prefer House-Autry, but I'm not sure they sell it in KY.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use Andy's Red myself. Make my own sometimes too. I too think it was the fish. The last, and only time I ever bought catphish from the grocery store (I was running low, and didn't wanna be caught without enough fish for company), it tasted like mud. US farm raised in Mississippi. Fresh, clean fillets, but tasted like crap. I work in the meat dept., so I know where the fish comes from.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I heard tilapia was suppose to be good. I got some at the store fresh and it tasted like dirt. Now its wild caught salmon only. Ive used uncle bucks a few times and it was fine.

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    so your sayin we ate some Mississippi mud?? Well if it gets real bad around here job wise then my family is headin to Mississippi cause over there you can eat the mud!!! :smile2: The fish wasnt bad at all, it just had a faint dirty taste, but from now on it's fresh out of the Ohio River for me and we'll see if my guests complain about muddy tasting fish when they are peeing neon green and growin a third eye!!!!!:eek:oooh:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd bet it was one of two things ,either the fish had the taste to it ,or the mix had mildewed,both will have the faint taste of "dirt",I never buy the catphish nuggets ,as they are only the belly meat ,and farm raised fish for some reason allways have that taste in the belly meat ,even if you remove thesilverskin from them.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Man, you gots to come up with your own special recipe. 64/40 corn meal and flour and spice to your taste!

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    andys cajun is the squat. lol

but to make your own try this at home.

preheat oil to 375 deg

take 1 cup of flour.
    1/2 cup yellow corn meal.
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp of cayanne pepper/ chili powder
    1/4 tsp of lemon pepper

soak fish over night in salt water either before or after freezing. pat dry. roll in beaten egg and dredge in combined ingrediants.

place in hot oil quickly after dredging. fry till golden and floating.:wink:

for a spicer mix add 1 full tsp cayanne chili powder or add 2 tsp of tobasco sauce to egg mixture before beating.:wink:

i like it spicy.

10. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    peanut oil or lard man. Not everything has to be cooked in a sterile no taste environment. I have that long chest scar from heart surgery and have sacrificed a lot of things, well a few, for it, but peanut oil for fish.:big_smile::wink::smile2:

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    see were all different. ide take those crap eating taliapa over channels any day.:big_smile: white and firmer than channela here.

12. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I agree with Ozzy, tilapia just taste bland compared to other fish, why eat tilapia when there are bluegirls available???:crazy: I guess I am going to make my own concoction next time I fry up some fishys and no more store bought fillets for me!

By the way Meijers (store) had wild caught walleye fillets! but they were pretty expensive at over $6.00 per pound. The catfish I bought were $4.49 per lb so that makes me feel better about spending money on gas to go catfishin.

Bill

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    You guys are makin me hungry.

14. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Well guys, I guess I am a little old fashioned, but I just like the taste of good old home fried Cat fish and hush puppies, and to me puting any kind of batter on it except corn meal, salt and pepper, would change the taste, and it may be to something I wouldn't like.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For a regular, traditional type coating for my fish, I use corn meal with a pretty good amount of Tony Chachere's Herbs & Spice mixed in with it; but the other blends should work just as well.

What always went over great at the church fish fries I used to have was a batter coating. I learned the recipe as a beer batter, but substituted plain soda water with no effect on the taste. You'll need Bisquick, flour, and either beer or soda water.

Make a batter with the beer and Bisquick. Thick batter for a thick coating, thin batter for a thin coating.

Season your fillets; I just used salt.

Coat the fillets well with the flour. This is what makes the batter stick to the fillet; miss a spot and the batter will fall off there.

Dip the floured fillets into the batter, making sure they are well coated, then drop them into the hot grease. To keep the fillets from getting too done on the bottom, you need a heavy pot (preferably cast iron) that's deep enough so that the fillets don't touch the bottom.

How hot you have the grease depends on how thick (or thin) your fillets are. The idea is for the fillet to just finish cooking all the way through as the coating becomes golden brown. For average fillets, I use 375; for thicker fillets, I drop down to 350, or even 320; for thin fillets, I want the oil smoking hot.

If you don't have a thermometer, you can toss in a few kernels of popcorn. They will pop when the oil gets around 350-375.

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I usually make my own batter. When my parents came down for the 4th of July, they brought some with them. They had bought it from Golden Coral. My mom liked the taste of their fish, so she asked the manager if she could buy some of their batter mix. He sold her 2 big bags for like $4 each. Anyway I used it and it was actually pretty good. Lacked any spice but was a nice coating. You need to let it sit for about 5 minutes after its cooked, then it gets crispy. After adding some pepper to it it was actually pretty dang good. If you like Long John Silvers batter, this is pretty close.

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree, the catfish nuggets you get in the store all all belly meat, I have learned how to fix the belly meat though, when you fillet, you have to fillet both sides of it and get the inside skin as well, no fishy taste after that. I think farm raised catfish taste like mud, because of the food they feed them, that is the only thing I can figure.

But if you think it was the batter you used, here is my recipe, you cant go wrong with it.

Yellow Corn Meal
    Salt
    crushed Pepper Corns (Plastic Bag and Hammer works wonders)
    cayenne pepper
    hot sauce (your brand, I use Franks)
    buttermilk
    eggs
    Japeleno
    Vegetable oil (Canola gives it a funny flavor)

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix the eggs, hot sauce to taste and buttermilk together, (I use 2 eggs per cup of milk).

I heat the oil to 350, then drop about 10 whole canned Japalenos in the oil, this gives it a good flavor, but not the heat, the oil from the pepper mixes with the veggie oil. (Leave the Japalenos in until they are black, they are good to eat also).

18. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Well, of the few things that I can cook, fried catfish is one of them :crazy:. IMO I prefer the Zatarains Cajun fish batter. I scramble up a few eggs in a bowl & dip the fillets/nuggets in them & then shake them up in a bag of the batter.

I only use PEANUT oil @ 375 degrees, now the only thing that I found out about that particular batter is that if you cook it until it is brown, it will be overcooked:eek:oooh:.

If your using a deep fryer, the old addage that "if it floats, it's done" will work or if your doing it in a skillet, I just wait 'till the ends "curl" up.

BTW, I think I know what I'm havin' for supper:smile2::smile2::smile2:

19. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's cheap where I come from. We had frozen walleye, and it was $12.99/lb. THAT is expensive. I would buy walleye....real walleye, for $6.00/lb all day long. Good eats, and I have to spend $40 in gas to go maybe catch me some to eat anyways. Nearly all fish is too expensive to buy anymore. Catphish is $5/lb., and isn't worth eating. Any of the IQF (individually quick frozen) fish, keep a particularly close eye on it's origin. 99.5+% of it is a product of china, and they charge a premium price for it. I wouldn't feed that to my neighbor's dog. Store brand IQF catphish, like Fishin' Co., or Farmfresh, etc. may not even be channelcat, it may be spotted, or speckled (not possitive on the proper name) catphish from the ocean. Nowhere on the package does it say channelcat, or Ictalurus punctatus like US farm raise catphish does. It is sometimes difficult to find the country of origin. If that is so, it is Chinese. If it is US fish, it will say so in a prominent location on the package. Just FYI.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Elliot, if you'll get your oil a little hotter, you can have your coating get brown at the same time the fish is done.