not funny, but reminds me of Jaws!!!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Pursuit, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Was reading this on the Missouri State Water Patrol website and couldn't believe this actually happened. All I could think of is the movie Jaws when he starts pulling the boat backwards causing it to take on water. Here's the link: http://www.mswp.dps.mo.gov/News/NRDetail.asp?ID=N07090016

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Sad thing about the story is IF it's true neither one of the fisherman had the brain's to cut the there line :eek:oooh:

3. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wasn't going to go there but yes, and what were they using, anchor rope? Chris

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    100 lb. power pro will do that to ya every time. :smile2:

5. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I agree with all the above BUT BUT 6 people in a 16' john boat:eek:oooh:

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's just their story, I'll bet that they were overloaded too and the whole thing was a lie! I wonder what the investigation turned up if there ever was one. Probably won't be unless they go for insurance if they had any.:crazy::eek:oooh:

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's what I thought. I have a 16' sylvan high side v-bottom. the capacity is supposed to be 6 people. There's no way I'll go on the water with that many people. I get uncomfortable with more that 2. 3 is the limit for me.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I only see where there were 4 people in the boat, probably still too many for that boat safely but probably did not exceed the capacity rating legally.

To the person who said they should have cut their line. Well, sounds good in theory but if there was a lot of current and water started coming over the stern they probably had mere SECONDS to react before it was too late. A lot of folks don't realize how QUICKLY a boat can go down in a river. You probably won't have time to grab that PFD that is laying 'somewhere' or get your knife out of 'somewhere' to cut a fouled anchor rope etc.......... Have a plan and be prepared. Have a knife out of the sheath and ready, wear a PFD........etc.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    They must of had a anchor rope tied off to a boat wench so the drag did not slip. Oh well never will know what really happened.

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I found this one and all i have to say is OH MY! :eek:oooh:

NEAR DROWING: THE VICTIM LOST HIS KEYS INTO THE WATER AND WANTED TO RETRIEVE THEM. HE GRABBED HIS GARDEN HOSE TO USE AS A BREATHING TUBE GOING TO THE SURFACE. THEN HE TIED AN ANCHOR ROPE WITH A 20 LBS ANCHOR ON IT AROUND HIS WAIST TO MAKE HIM SINK TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LAKE. HE HAD GONE UNDERWATER ONCE AND CAME UP WITHOUT SUCCESS. WHEN HE WENT DOWN THE SECOND TIME HE LOST THE GARDEN HOSE HE WAS USING TO BREATH AND BECAME OUT OF BREATH AND DISORIENTATED. HE HAD A SPOTTER HOLDING THE ANCHOR ROPE AT THE SURFACE AND WHEN THE SPOTTER REALIZED THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG HE PULLED THE VICTIM UP. THE SUBJECT WAS NOT BREATHING AND UNRESPONSIVE FOR A SHORT TIME BUT BEGAN BREATHING ON HIS OWN. HE REFUSED MEDICAL TREATMENT FROM EMS.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Almost could have qualified for a Darwin Award if it had turned out a bit differently.

Amazing isn't it????:eek:oooh:

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    It is amazing the acts some people will do.

Here is my anwser to this Natural Selection lets get those genes out of the pool. :smile2:

13. Snagmanmikejordan#

Snagmanmikejordan# New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'LL agree with that, some people are just not as smart as the rest of us.

14. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    it should serve as a reminder to all that water and the things in the water are crazy dangerous and the minute you lose respect for them they will kill you. please be safe out there

15. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Wow, did the reverse not work?:eek:oooh:

16. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Skip would this qualify as a NUTROLL or just plain STUPIDITY?:confused2:

17. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    The boats swamping reminds me of the football players in Florida. From reports it seems their anchor fouled on the corral and they tied it to the transom and attempted to horse it out and probably swamped themselves.

The garden hose/ diving incident happened at Longview Lake in Grandview, MO on 05-31-2004.

INDEPENDENCE EXAMINER
    Independence, MO
    June 1, 2004
    Section: News

Search for keys nearly kills man

The Examiner staff

A 54-year-old Lee's Summit man almost drowned Monday morning at Longview Lake after jumping in the water to retrieve his keys, according to the Missouri State Water Patrol.

The man attempted to use a garden hose as a breathing tube and tied a rope attached to a 20-pound anchor around his waist, so he could sink to the bottom of the lake.
    The plan soon backfired, however, and the man became disoriented after losing his breath.
    A spotter was holding the anchor and pulled the victim out of the water when he noticed the man was in trouble.
    The victim was not breathing and was unresponsive for a short time but then began breathing on his own. He refused medical treatment and reportedly went ahead with plans and went boating.
    He reportedly was going to hire a diver to find the keys.

The article in the Kansas City Star (dated 06-01-2004) identified the man as, 54 year old Michael Hatfield of Lee's Summit, MO.