Not From Here, but how's the fishing in Michigan?

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by catfishing is fun, Jul 19, 2006.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    hi i live in missouri and was wondering were some good catfish spots were around michigan and also what rigs and bait to use thanks for all your help, Marshall

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't know the area just wanted to say WELCOME to the B.O.C. there are guys here that know the area they will post when they find this thread.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcoem to the BOC, always great to have another new member. We have alot of great Michigan members. I am sure they will chime in soon.

4. cwi47

cwi47 New Member

State:
    Michigan
  5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Good morning and welcome to the BOC, Marshall.

I know the transition from Missouri to michigan will be interesting to say the least- we dont reach 106 degrees here unless you have a bonfire under your behind. We do hit the occasional 30+below zero though, so that bonfire isnt such a bad idea. heh heh

So you want to get some whiskerfaces here in God's Handprint,eh?

Well depending on where in michigan you're going to live will determine what cats will be abundant. On the west and southwest side of the state, you have a choice- flatheads or channels. Anywhere else its channels only.
    Bullheads if you like em can be found about anywhere.

For rigs, I use bank sinkers, strong line, and musky rods re-tied with extra eyelets. Big stuff when it comes to flatheads. Its not always mandatory per se, but its nice to know you can turn a big boy if he's headed for a log jam.

I also use gills, crappie, and most other panfish for bait... live fresh stuff. Gills seem to work best for me... but I suppose that is a matter of opinion.

Let us know where you live and we will gladly give you some tips.

Take care. Thanks for finding us. Welcome to our state brother!

Sal

6. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    thanks for the info everybody, i guess i should of mentioned im in the grandrapids, and lowel area

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    You're in a great area! Plenty of channels and Flatheads. Plus you got lots of Brothers from the BOC in your area as well. I'm sure they will chime in soon.
    Welcome aboard!
    Sparky

8. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    G.R. and Lowell?

Aww heck- youre in prime country for flatheads!

Go to the grand river. You'll find plentry of fish and structure.

You can also get a hold of Bwanatony, jspiel, jross, dan... Goodness you have a collection of near-pros right there in your backyard!

If you have any questions, theyre the ones to talk to, but perhaps if Im in that area, I will surely take you up on a night trip to either bank or boat-fish depending on the location and wether my river yacht will be safe out there. lol

Tight lines. Welcome to the michigan brotherhood.

sal

9. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
  10. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    that "hey" was supposed to be "thanks" haha, also dose fishing at night really produce more fish???

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    You bet it does. Flathead Cats are fairly nocturnal- they bite most all night, where during the day it is sporadic at best on inland lakes, and practically chance on rivers.

Channels can be caught all hours.

12. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i just realized that the info may change if you knew that i do not (yet) own a boat

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    So ya bank fish! No problem! I got a boat and I still do it. Amazing how much gas money ya save. lol

Bank fishing is good just bout anywhere in the state.. and I did a LOT of bank fishing in the clinton river, the stony creek impoundment... I never had a boat as a kid!

you will be fine bro- believe me.