Not for Turtle Lovers

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by DWB, May 29, 2009.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    My brother in law was out arrowing some carp and could not contain himself when he saw this behemoth lurking in the mud. He says the arrow did not kill him and that he had to take it home and cut off its head to get his arrow back. He claims that he has cleaned it and plans on eating it...YUCK!! :eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    If he's already cleaned it, the yuck part is over.

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Man I'd love to get hold of a big snappin turtle to eat. My dad would always clean for us when we caught them catfishing. Just throw them in a cooler of clean water for a couple days and just change out the water until they stop making it nasty then clean them. He had an article in a MO Conservation that showed how to do it. Supposedly they had 7 different flavors of meat on them. All I know is that it was amazingly good when fried and then baked in mushroom gravy withs ome taders, onions, and carrots. :roll_eyes:

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I believe I'll pass on the turtle. Might as well eat the asian carp. :smile2:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I remember eating them as a kid. I caught one a few years back and took it to a buddies to put in his tank to clean itself out. He added another one before the day came to clean them.

I wasn't eating any turtle after that disgusting job and I told him to keep all of it. That was about the nastiest job I can recall. YUCK!

Enjoy your turtle!

I CPR all turtles now!:smile2:

6. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I heard they were good eating, then again I heard dogs and cats were mighty tasty but I ain't eating them.

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    You will eat a chicken and it will turn around and eat its on cheet. Now why wouldnt you want to eat an animal that lives on fish and such.??? I bet when you guys are fishin you wash your hands before you eat.

8. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Bob, don't you have anything better to do than pick on the yuck boys? Why don't you go write a poem or something?:smile2: Some guys don't like the taste of Skipjack,Shad,or Mooneye especially on there buttered popcorn and cheesy puffs.:roll_eyes:

9. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good eating right there. I have never cleaned one but I know a few people that do.

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Not till 2 oclock Jason. Then I got to go to work. My kids wouldnt eat a lot of stuff when they were young cause it "looked yucky". Now they tear it up. I think you should try some that has been prepared before you pass judgement. Course thats just me. :smile2::smile2:

11. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    don't knock turtle to you try it, it is outstanding in soup or fried up.Cleaning it is the nasty part.

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Now this part is gonna hurt real bad.. I have to agree with Bob on this one.. I haven't tried turtle yet but from what I've heard I am looking forward to the day somebody offers me some to try..

13. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i had a piece of turtle once and i had no clue thats what it was

14. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri

What ever you do don't try it at the Fin Inn up in Grafton. I tried a bowl of turtle soup there one day that I would not have feed to my dog. Just awful chit. Kind of soured me on the whole idea, but like anything I suppose it is all in how you prepare it.

I've always said that if you wrapped a dog turd in bacon, breaded and fried it and then served it with some ranch dipping sauce I'd prolly go for it!

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I ate cat burgers once, in Greece, back in 1973. Wasn't bad at all, but a bit small for a burger. So, I had two more.

16. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    That's just nasty!!!

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Those are delicious also. Just pressure cook them down with some Lawry's seasoning salt and lemon pepper. After that, mix with egg and crushed crackers and make fish patties. A little bit of work, but a guy would never run out of a supply of fish that's for sure.

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I used to love turtle as a kid. Haven't caught any snappers big enough to take the knife to lately or I'd introduce the heathens to fried snapping turtle.:wink: Not sure where the "yuck" factor comes in, I remember watching my uncle Ravis clean turtles for us when I was a little guy and I don't remember it being any more distasteful than cleaning anything else. That old guy guy could take a turtle from big pi$$ed of hissing finger chomper to pile of ready to fry meat in about 10 minutes - it was actually pretty cool to watch.:big_smile:

As far as dog, cat, Asian carp, etc. about the only animal I'd refuse to eat if I knew what it was (other than bugs) would be a possum.

19. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    As far as dog, cat, Asian carp, etc. about the only animal I'd refuse to eat if I knew what it was (other than bugs) would be a possum.[/QUOTE]

my mom was from the south and grew up in the south during the depression she used to talk about how they aye possums when they were kids:crazy:

20. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    possums are just about as nasty of an animal as you can get.