Not fishing ? about on ramps

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by truck, Jul 10, 2007.

1. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    My bus partner is going to Cal next week and he would like to know how the red lights on on ramps work?

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    You stop on red and go on green, if its not lit ignore it.
    Any other instructions are on a sign just below the light.
    Most are one car per green unless the sign says more.
    Some on ramps have more than one lane and will have a signal for each lane with the exception of some carpool (2 or more persons per car) lanes that allow you not to stop but some carpool lanes will have signals that meter them alsso at a different rate than the noncarpool lanes.
    Do not use the carpool lanes unless you have at least one passanger in addition to the driver. (Big Fines)
    Merge into traffic by matching your speed to the cars/trucks in the lane your trying to get onto, usually around 55-60 MPH.
    Do not try to get on a clear moving freeway going 45 MPH you will be ran over.
    If traffic is passing you on the right speed up or move to the right hand lane.
    Find out where you are going and how to get there before starting out. If you are trying figure it out while driving you will be ran over.
    I know it sounds like I'm being a smart @$$ but people who are not used to the traffic here do get ran over.
    Traffic may be bumper to bumper where you come from but here it's not only bumper to bumper, it's also going 70 MPH that way.

3. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Thanks for the reply Tom,He was kinda cunfused after beeing there for a day last year.I have never seen a red light on an onramp before myself:big_smile: again thanks