Not catfish but....

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by egomaniac247, Dec 30, 2006.

1. egomaniac247

egomaniac247 New Member

State:
    VA
    This my friends is the fishing world's equivalent of a "mulligan" or "do over"...
    This morning I planned on going to Harrison lake to fish for crappie and bass.....I got there and the damn gate was locked....it said to go to the office for fishing access but then there's a sign that says "Office Hours 8-5pm Mon-Fri".....oh I was pissed.
    So I decide I'll go over to Diascund....not realizing I was very low on gas in the truck. I didn't realize what a long distance it was from Harrison to Route 60 PLUS I forgot how much more gas my truck burns when pulling the boat.....I swear I didn't think I was going to make it to a gas station. Anyways, I found gas, hit the lake, and it was foggy as hell.....and I really didn't want to be there. After about an hour I said to hell with it and went back to the ramp. Went back home, put the batteries on charge and ate lunch...then around 1pm I headed over to Osborne ramp.

Went into the barge pits and about an hour into the outgoing tide the bite REALLY turned on...

Here's a few pics. I ended up with 2 bass, 2 blue gills, and I lost track of the crappie after 10. Biggest crappie was 13"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All fish came on either a white hair jig or the same jig tipped with medium minnows.
    I swear I must have had well over 100 strikes today...it was almost like I was croaker/spot fishing. Here's the kicker....I cut the hair off the jig because a lot of fish were short striking and I wanted more room on the hook for the minnows.....well, I ran out of minnows very early and found that the fish were hitting just as good on the jig alone.....remember, I cut all the hair off the jig....so believe it or not, the bigger bass above was caught on THIS:

[​IMG]
    Can you believe that?
    That little jig has caught me more bass this year than I have caught off any lure in all of 2006.

2. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Great outing congrats bro. I particuarly like those jigs like you were using except i prefer the black ones better particuarly on a river fishing for smallies and red eyes. Thanks for sharing the story and thanks for the pics.

Wheelmobile07

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Nice pics and thanks for sharing. I see you caught some catfish bait.:big_smile: