not casting at its best

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BIG_D, Aug 3, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    the 5600c i got the uther day was 9 years old new in box it had sat so long all the oil and grease had turned hard i cleaned it all out but the bearings are shilded and all i did was wipe them off it is just casting about half what i think it should i am going to take it apart agen and soak the bearings in colman fuel to try and get all the old gunk out do you think this will work ok or do you have a better idea :confused2:

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Replace with ceramic bearings.

3. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Yeah, that should work, worth a try anyhow. Let e'm dry out good then re-lube and see what happens.

4. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Dallas I use lighter fluid with a small stainless cup, I put just enoungh to cover the bearings. I let them sit for about 10 to 15 minutes and keep changing the fluid till it is clean and no longer has dirt in it after sitting. I would say you could do the same with coleman fuel. Hope this helps.

5. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    After you get them cleaned out use some hot sause on them. I would clean every thing up and relube it all over again. That way you know that it is clean and lubed right. When you are soaking the bearings stur them to help get them clean.

6. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    try using CRC electra-motive cleaner it dries clean wont leave a film. Them re-lube

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Take a needle or something and you can pull the little plastic shield off.

8. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    How far is half of what it should do? What size line you using? You might have too much grease or grease where it should not be. If you use light oil like hot sauce you will have to service it more frequently. I have and do use hot sauce and it does not seem to have a long lasting residual lube to it. I am looking at buying the various versions of rocket fuel oil and see how those work. A bearing swap is the first place to start with the clean and lube.

A bearing kit for the levelwind will make alot of difference too. On an 8ft cat series ugly stick with 20 lb topped with a 3 oz weight it should hit close to full spool out. Add bait and you will lose some distance from drag especially if it helicopters out.