Not bad for my first time on the Wabash

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by so ill catman, Jun 30, 2009.

1. so ill catman

so ill catman New Member

State:
    illinois
    last saturday night i got to go to the Wabash river for the first time. by sunday morning we had caught 2 2# channels, a 8# channel, a 3# channel, a 10# channel, a 10# blue, a 12# blue, and my new personal best a 36# blue. not too shaby for my first time on the wabash eh?

2. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Congratulations Matt and welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25: I've always wanted to go there, but it's a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. I know it's got some nice flatheads in there too, that are just waitin' to be caught.:wink:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt thanks for sharing your Wabash River trip. Not bad at all for a first trip. Congrats on the new PB. Welcome to the BOC.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

4. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    what part of the wabash where you fishing. my and my buddy fished up a tourney over at clinton 2 weeks ago and got a blue that was just a little over 40lbs.

5. so ill catman

so ill catman New Member

State:
    illinois
    we were just south of Vincennes In

6. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish that area,and it dose hold "good" fish! It sounds like you had a good time,just wait until the water get's lower,it will be better than ever! Ron

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Sound like a great time out on the river . I havent had much luck around here this year at all . A few 4 pound channels here and there other wise nothing great . We have had one good weekend that we couldnt keep up with the cats but it went dead and has stayed that way .

8. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Welcome to the BOC Matt. That was a good day of fishing.

9. H2O!

H2O! New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like you had a good day Matt. I am also a new member and fish the Wabash around the Attica Indiana to Cayuga Indiana section.

10. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt, sounds like it was a great weekend. I'm new to this forum and hope to have some tales of my own to report soon. I've lived within a quarter mile of the Wabash for almost 25 years. I'm ashamed to say that I've spent very little time fishing it. Hope to remedy that soon. This is a great forum with a lot of information for the novice. I've fished almost all of my life, but mostly in lakes and ponds. A friend of mine and I have been jugging Kentucky Lake for the last 4 or 5 years and have had a ball catching nice blues and channels in the 5-20 lb. range. I live about 20 or so miles north of Vincennes. Hope you have many more trips like this one.:big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Matt. Sounds like you had a great night to me, keep up the good fishin. I fish the mighty Wabash in the Terre Haute to Merom area. I'm seeing more and more members lately joining up and laying claim to the Wabash as their home waters. We probably have enough to have our very own Wabash River Gathering. Might be something to think about.

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Matt. Congrats on an fantastic fishing adventure!

13. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like a good idea. They had the Wabash River Open a couple of weekends ago, here. They had several enter, but guess the catch was way down from last year. Haven't talked to anyone to see how they did. I've got a friend that is going below St. Francisville in the morning. They did really good the last time they went there.

14. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sorry, I had my stories crossed. The local Sportman's Club was weekend before last. They had 57 entrants and only caught 104 pounds total. The Wabash River Open was this last weekend. Haven't heard how they did or how many entered.

15. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've heard that there is going to be a tourneyment,at Russellville (north of Vincennes,In.) soon. I need to check out the details,and get back. Went yesterday,river is LOW and didn't catch much,just three small channels in 4 hours fishing.:embarassed: Talked to a few others out on the river,and they weren't doing any better? Ron

16. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Congrats buddy... never been on a river personally. You are one up on me! :big_smile: