Not again....

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by johnliester, Aug 13, 2008.

1. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Well folks it's happened again. Just when Antelope lake was settling down and the bite started to get good, Mother nature got us again. 3 inches of rain just to the north brought a big rush of water in. That wouldn't be bad except it turned the lake water the color of chocolate pudding. We went from having lots of bites to nothing at all. 3 nights of intense fishing with all kinds of baits hasn't caught a thing, except for a section of barbed wire fence that got washed in. Lost 4 rigs to it before I pulled up enough to see what we were snagging. It covers an area about the size of a football field. I just hope no boaters get caught up in it...

2. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Is there any inflow/creeks or outflow/spillway. If so those can be real hotspots during high water.I fish a small lake where muddy water shuts it down a little but the inflow/outflow can be tremendous right after a hard rain.Try big gobs of nightcrawlers or liver where the water runs in.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS

Good advice there. Almost works every time. Good time for a bobber.

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I think Delbert hit it on the head. Increased inflow would draw cats smelling
    and feeling for new food washed in. Others would be combing the newly
    flooded areas looking for drowned grasshoppers and earthworms so Kyle's
    idea about using a drifting float should work there. If all else fails, find some
    current. Though this is a lake, these fish evolved in rivers and are built to
    take advantage of those conditions. Gob of worms set about 2ft under a
    float would be a great way to start pokin around.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It all sounds like good advice to me, good luck fishing

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    You might get in touch with KDWP and give them the heads up before an accident happens like you said.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    John, after those hard rains, I wont fish anywhere except those feeder creeks. :wink:

8. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i hate when the places i fish get flooded :angry:it bums me out but i always find a way even if i gotta get wet.:big_smile:..

9. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    The lake has settled back down for the most part. I'd thought about the feeder creeks myself, but with all the brush, trees, and other trash flowing in I can't afford to lose that much tackleNow, one of the feeders is blocked by a huge pile of limbs and brush, not to mention trash that came from way upstream.
    On Saturday evening we went to Sheridan lake and I had one bite. Turned out to be an 8 lb channel. Caught it on a bluegill head. Went back last night to stock up on bluegills. Caught and froze a big bunch!!