Not a victory story!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jagdoctor1, Nov 20, 2007.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I went yesterday to do a little shore daytime flathead fishing. I started at the colorado river spoting logs and dropping a live talapia as close to them as possible. No action there. I went to a backwater next to where I was that I know has a very large tree stump with roots and all that the Fish and Game dumped in the water. I put a talapia on both sides of it and got no action. There was a stump all the way on the other side and I had a lighter pole with spincast and brand new 25 pd mono so I though maybe I could reach it. Sure enough I launched all the way over... bout 30 yards and landed right next to it. It took about 10 minutes then I had a good tug and everything went slack.I reeled in my slack and it kept coming he swam all the way across the backwater right at me. When it tightened up some I set the hook and it was on. I got him up with my heart thumpin into the tules right in front of me he looked app 30 pds and that was when my tried and true knot decided to pop!
    He landed in the mud and launched right back where he came from. I managed to find a nice large flathead willing to bite in the daytime and I lost him. I made several unmanly sounds and went and sat in the van. No more action that day either. That is the first time I've ever had a knot break like that. I wont be using that knot again.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    well, atleast you have found where that one stays. Go back and get him!!

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I plan on it.I went last night but no takers though I wasn't there but 2 hours early in the evening.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    BUMMER! And the knot was? LOL!

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Sounds like it was a double overhand crapper with a twist!!

Chris, That was some bad luck. Were you trying a new knot or your regular one. Every knot, no matter how many times you have tied it needs absolute care and attention every time...W

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I couldn't find the knot I used online which I suppose is a bad sign. I was taught this knot when I was a kid and have been using it ever since. I think my new knot will be the polymer knot. I am considering snelling to. I've been using a breakaway/sacrifice setup lately which is new to me I'll take any suggestions. I tried attaching a paint of the knot but it's in the wrong file type.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    use a palomar knot and that wont happen or i better say shouldnt.Ive never had one break this knot before ever.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Palomar all the way brother. I had a clinch/fisherman's knot give on me one day and I'll never use that crappy know again for the rest of my life. Never had a palomar not fail. It actually retains almost the full strength of the line unlike many other knots. Use it and you'll be fine.

9. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    That bites to loose a nice fish but at least you did have some action. Getting to play a fish is much better than not a bite at all. Keep it up, you will become victorious.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Palomar and snell. If you learn those two knots you will never have a failed knot again. You must check the last 3ft of your line every fish you catch or every 5 casts you make, just to be sure it isn't scratched or nicked up. Any opportunity a 30+ Flathead has to exploit a weakness in your Line,knots,reel,rod,hooks,swivels...etc they will. And like you just told us It will happen fast and before you can do anything about it. So be prepared for a monster to hit, and you just might be able to bring in a monster. If you have 30 pounders in your water you have the potential for a 70 or 80 or 100 pounder. Can you imagine how good you'll feel if you land an 80 pounder lol. They might be rare but they do exsist. Good luck.

11. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    You must have been using one of my knots. I learned the hard way that the palomar is the only one of my knots that can be trusted.

12. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Definitely palomar. See my first posts about the alligator in the lake and you'll understand why I'm a palomar believer!