Not a single flathead catfish...are they spawning?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by stitch, May 29, 2006.

1. stitch

stitch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I got a friend on here, redd, and we go fishing in the Neosho river. It's real dirty, and the visibility poor. We don't have a running boat, but there's a low head dam we fish at, the spot's popular with the locals. It's hot around here right now, and it's been warm. We can't catch nothing. We want some flatheads, but we can't even catch a channel. We thought the flathead might be spawning, and perhaps that's why we can't catch em. There was a guy while we was there caught a ten pound flathead, and redd and I thought that maybe that fish was done spawning early or somethin. Also, I've heard that flathead don't like current. The river's up, and the current out by that dam is ridiculous. Should we cast right out in the current by the dam? It seems insane to do so, but that's how that ten pounder was caught. My uncle said he used to cast on the other side of the dam and let his bait come over the dam and fall, and he would fish like that. Any help? Oh, by the way, we fish the dam at night.

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'm having the same luck as you right now for the flatheads. Everytime the water gets down on my fave river to fish, we get heavy rains and goes back up and I can't get to my best flathead spots. I've been teering the channels up though, I've got several high water stage spots I fish for them at, but I just can't find the flatheads right now. Hoping for about a week without rain so I can get back to wading around and looking for those big boys.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    We caught a good buch of flattys this weekend. THe kaw has been givin them up lately. Keep tryin I don't think they are spawning quite yet.

4. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Tried Olathe Lake early this morning targeting flatheads.
    No takers.

Wrong spot wrong time I quess.

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Keep the faith guys, they are out there. The water temperature has got to come up some before the flatties start cleaning out holes. A good rule of thumb is the first week in July for the spawn. Obviously they are not all going to lay at the same time. You are doing the right thing by watching those guys around you that are catching fish. Talk to them, ask what their doing that's working. See what kind of bait, how they are set up, most people are glad to share their knowledge with someone that's having trouble.
    Don

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I actually caught a flathead below a dam today (6lbs). I, like you, thought flatheads hated strong current, but they were there. A lot of bites, but small fish. And when i fish at the dam, I threw my bait right into the boils.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    so far this season we have only caught one flatie on live bait. they are all over the cutbait though! sometimes they are inactive and dont want to chase a live bait but will suck up a snack just laying there. have you guys tried cut? also there mite be a bit too much presure at the dam. have you tried down river behind some current blocks? if all else fails try dynamite! lol

8. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I fished the Noesho this weekend and caught a few flatheads. I did filet a couple of smaller ones 10lb and they did have eggs but they didn't looked like they were ready to spawn. The eggs had no blood around the egg sack.

I don't know what dam you were fishing but just keep trying. What were you using for bait?

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Yesterday I went out after channels and caught one flat head. He was only about 2lbs, but I guess some of them are biting.

10. bartmccollum

bartmccollum New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I went fishin' Monday night...no good. The small flatheads will bite almost anytime but the really big ones are strict creatures of nature. They will sit in one spot for day's until mother nature flips a switch. Most of the time it's a thunderstorm but can be just a subtle drop in barometric press. I think all catfish eat whenever possible until they reach a certain size. This is the threshold between prey and predator. If they no longer fit in a predators mouth, then they become predators themselves. I've caught a ton of five to ten pound flatheads on hot afternoons but never any larger. In heavy weather I've caught a ton of big fish, but none smaller than seven pounds. The weather here is super stagnant, almost like dog days already, I'm desperately waiting for a front to move in. I miss my flathead friends!!

11. stitch

stitch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    thank yall. I talked to an older guy at the place where we fished and he told us alot. i wrote down about 2 1/2 pages of info that day so i would remember it. hope to catch some.:confused2: