Not a monster but I'm proud of him.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by smhmc6, Nov 16, 2009.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just thought I'd share a picture of the buck I shot. Shot him at 11:20 Saturday morning. I've been bowhunting 3 or 4 years now and have passed on countless bucks. I have got my share of does, but I wanted to shoot a mature buck. This year I've passed on a handful of 3.5 yr olds and was beginning to wonder if I should have harvested one of them. I'm glad I waited a little longer. I finally got one I can be proud of. I'd say this guy is atleast 4.5 probably older, but I'm not an expert. Will be getting a jawbone aging kit soon and will be able to find out for sure. I'm not an expert at scoring either, but I grossed him at 121 7/8". I love bowhunting :smile2:!

Attached Files:

2. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    congrats - nice looking deer

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats!!

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    good job brotha!:big_smile:

5. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Congrats Bro,,
    Good mass and outside his ears, mature buck, looks like a monster to me,,,
    Nice job, especially with a bow...:wink:
    Puddle

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    WTG. Steve. Congrats on a nice buck. Those horns would make a nice wall mount. Good mass.

7. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Any Mature buck with a bow is a trophy in my book! Congrats on your fine trophy bro!

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    WTG Steve!! That's one deer to be very proud off. Great mass and nice spread. I'm not a scoring expert either, but I'm guessing the deer to be in the high 120's. Score doesn't mean everything. Enjoy the meat bro!! Love to bowhunt too!!

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
  10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
  11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congratulations; he's a beauty! Good job!

12. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's a good buck! I appreciate your management strategy, I wish everyone would hold out for a mature buck. Thanks for sharing!

13. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the congrats guys. I just got him packaged up and in the freezer. I decided that I will be making a European mount out of him to hang on the wall. I've actually seen the score sheets before, I just didn't have one with me when I scored him and just did it from memory. I actually missed 2 measurements, for some reason I was thinking you only take 3 circumference measurements on each antler so I missed the 4th on each side. So that would add a 2 or 3 more inches to the gross score. But like someone else said, it wasn't all about the score to me it was more about harvesting a mature buck... thats what makes it a trophy for me. Now its time to fill some doe tags :smile2:!