Not a catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by unclebuncle, Feb 20, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Ok its not a catfish but it was such a pretty day I couldn't help myself.I had a couple of hours so stopped at my favorite pond and tossed a jig in.This bass hit on first cast right next to bank on yellow jig.I didn't weigh him but he was 18 inches.Also caught 3 nice crappie about 15 inches.I've never fished this pond for catfish but know they are there.Its right next to a creek that floods over into it everytime the river gets to flood stage.I've caught several nice channels on jigs while crappie fishing.I think I will concentrate on catfish here some and see what happens.Everything thats in the river is in here including shad.:smile2:

Attached Files:

2. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like a winner to me. You are catching fishes and that's the great thing...lol

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nice Bass Ray,,,It was a nice day to be out,but i had to work today:sad2:

Sound's like that pond has some nice fish in it let us know how the catfish are.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats on a good day on the water Ray.
    I am sure there are some nice cats in there. Its about time to find out.:wink:

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Sounds like we have a couple of cold days coming but as soon as it warms up a little I'll go try.Just has to be warm enough for me I'm more cold blooded than a fish.The pond is shallow so its the first place to get going in the spring.

6. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
  7. ks catman

ks catman New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats a nice bass! glad somebodys catching something.I tried the missouri river today and got skunked still better than sitting at home tho.:smile2: good luck on the next trip.

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I know you probably already know this Ray, but I am known for belaboring
    the obvious and have a reputation to uphold. When it warms up enough
    for you the first place to look for an active catfish in that pond would be
    where the water is coming into the pond even if the current is really slack.
    Catfish just feel more confident looking for food with a little current pushing
    on their whiskers. Also, the water is shallow and a little warmer
    there because of that. Now a cold rain can mess that pattern up, but
    this is how it generally goes as spring creeps up on us...

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Unfortunately even when I was young and tough I was never able to get up in that end of pond.I've seen the fish rolling around and just cant get to where I can cast to them.