Not a Catfish, but a big fish none the less!!!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by RIVER-RAT, Mar 16, 2008.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well, it was a rough day on the river today. Got on the water around 0930 hours and began the search for bait. Took alot longer than I expected to find enough bait but finally did.

Anchored into the first hole and got a whole lot of nibblers but no takers!

Headed to the confluence and somewhere along the line the transducer came unsnapped out of the mounting bracket. So being equipped with the rubber boots I headed to shore to snap it into place. Got it snapped back into place and as I was turning the boat around to get back on the water, one of those damn rocks junmped up and snapped the bracket, therefore the transducer was no longer mounted and just flopping around in the water.

SO....just decided to head back to the ramp and pulled the boat out of the water to see if I could possibly re-attach the transducer. Got it "re-attached" with zip-ties and headed back to the water!

Fished hard, confluence, Missouri, deep, shallow and everywhere in between. I painted alot of fish with the new 917c but all I could get were the nibblers.

Finally headed back towards the ramp, made one last stop and threw out the lines. Sat down and about 10 minutes later the inside pole did a slow little bend. I grabbed the pole and starting reeling in. Joe asked me if I had him, I wasn't sure at first then I said yes. Then he asked if it was a biggun, I told him I didn't think so and then all of a sudden the fight was on! That fish just took off! I couldn't stop it, he just kept takin' line! A few minutes later, the beast was in the boat!

[​IMG]

Not a catfish, but a fish none the less! I tell ya what, that was one heck of a fight that fish gave. It sure was fun fightin' him.

I used Shad, Asian Carp and MoonEyes aka "SkipEyes". Water was still a bit high and there was some debris floating down river. Water temp was 38-39* in most places but found a couple places where it was 40-42*.

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Might not have been a cat but that was a nice catch.

3. midmocat

midmocat New Member

State:
    MO
    It was my first time on the Mississippi below St. Louis we had a good time the it got cloudy after lunch time and then the cold wind started but we had a good day and we look forward to the tourney

4. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    That is big sturgeon from what I have caught. The only ones I have caught were like 15-18" long or so. Any idea what he weighed? What bait die he bite?

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Heck, I have always wanted to catch one of those. Everything I have heard and been told about them, makes me want to catch one.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice looking Sturgeon Bill! :big_smile: Them are neat looking fish. Thanks for the report and sharing the pic! :cool2:

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Nice sturgeon, they sure are fighters.

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well I am guessing here, I'd say it weighed somewhere between 30-40 pounds. Just to put his size into perspective, I am 6'3" and 370lbs. When we got him in the net, the net handle doubled over when we tried lifting him in the boat! Now I gotta try to fix that!

Oh yeah! I had a 3-4 inch asain carp on the end of the hook!

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks for the report Ratman. Thats a great catch even if its not a kitten. Nice work dude. I wonder if that poor thing knew you lift the back ends of trucks for fun. Poor thing is lucky to still have his head. :smile2::wink:

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice sturgeon!

They are beginning to make a comeback on the James, but we aren't even allowed to boat them. That's good I guess, until they come back strong in numbers. Alot of reports of some really big ones jumping around. A nine footer was netted by some fish biologists last year on the James.

11. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey at least ya didn't get skunked:wink:

12. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Bill that is a nice sturgeon. When Gary and I were up that way he caught one about 25 or 30, he thought it was a small fish until it got close to the boat and then all he!! broke loose. They are some strong fish and look like a blast to catch. I will take one of those over a few smaller kittens. I like something that stretches my line. Congrats on the catch buddy.

13. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Great catch man!! Thanks for sharing.

Larry

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh! He was definately fun to have on the line! That fish actually swam up river, then swam under the boat to the other side! It was a good fighting fish and really fun!!

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice size fish, Bill.

16. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    That was really a nice looking fish. I hope to hook one of those some day.......

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice fish and thanks for sharing it with us

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    that is a big fish!! sorry though it don't count if its not a cat.:smile2:

19. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member