not a 4X4,

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by derbycitycatman, Jul 15, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    My 94 exploder, 4.0 v6 sounds like its dying.
    When driving it around 35-45 mph it does ok, if you can get it there.
    When idleing or taking off from a dead start it can die and often, its died about 30 yards from the drive way here lately and Im lucky to coast in.
    Ive noticed black exhaust here in the past few days.
    I know there is prolly an exhaust leak and you can tell there are things loose in the undercarriage from abusive driving.
    If I can fix this soon it may cost me my job due to being late and what not.
    I dont have the money for a new or newer car and may barely be able to pay a mechanic, luckily I have a credit card.
    Im hoping some of you may have a cheap and easy fix I can do myself.
    I had my stepdad look at listen to it and we are both hoping its just bad gas, I got a full tank for once which Im in the process of burning up or should I just siphon it out? Last nite I barely made it to the grocery and back, less than 2 miles both ways. If any more info is needed just ask before giving recomendattions.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian, sounds like it may be tuneup time,I'm not sure if that model has plugs tho,my wifes 99 f150 had coil packs,dealer told me as long as it runs good or even fair,leave it alone,they cost nearly 100 bucks ea. and all are required to be replaced if 1 goes. check the cpv valve and replace the lil filter on it as well. heck this new crap is hard to figure without havin a diag. setup to run it on.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It sounds like besides a tune up, your catalytic converter is plugging. My wifes old Cad had one plug and it would not go over 30, I was so mad at that darn car. If you can, unbolt it and take it for a drive. You might just solve your problem.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Exactly what I would check first. Catalytic Converters plug all the time. I'm not saying it couldn't be something else, but i'd check that first.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If it's blowing out black smoke, It's running rich and the fuel trims are out of whack. the engine light should be on. a good place to start would be to hook it up to a scanner and retrieve fault codes. then check fuel pressure. If i had to guess, I'd say it has a bad mass airflow sensor, Or possibly a fuel pressure problem. sure, the cats might be starting to plug up, but that'd be a secondary problem being caused by something else. find someone with a scanner and run through a trouble tree to find the source of the problem. it does'nt pay to guess at components in todays vehicles. bite the bullet and pay the $50.00-$60.00 and have it diagnosed. you can perform the repairs yourself, but have a trained proffesional look at it. Here's a quick tip to try to diagnose a faulty mass airflow sensor without equipment. unplug the mass airflow sensor and see if the problem goes away. It will force it to use "default" readings from the sensor instead of actual values. in a case where the sensor is reading way out of whack, the default values are much closer to actual values than what the faulty sensor is reporting to the computer. make sure if you do this, you clear all codes before having it tested in a shop. unplugging sensors will force fault codes that may be invalid. and you might have a technician chasing ghost codes, and possibly replacing good parts. just unplug the battery for 5 minutes or so before you take it in. then the only codes in the system will be valid. besides the m.a.f. sensor, these units (4.0 liter i'm assuming) have a habit of rupturing the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator, and will cause the described symptoms. find the fuel rail, the regulator is on the rail. it will have a vacuum line attached to it. take the vacuum line off of it and have someone start it, or just crank it. if it's ruptured there will be fuel coming out of the vacuum port on the regulator. in this case the vacuum line will suck raw fuel out of the rail and flood the intake. it may still need a tune up when your done, or it may clean out by itself. if it has original plugs in it, have fun getting them out of the heads without breaking them off. they have cast iron heads and the plugs will rust so bad they break when removed. good luck.......

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Richard, your wifes f-150 still has spark plugs. it has c.o.p. (coil on plugs) meaning it has a coil on each spark plug. it will still need the plugs replaced every so often. the manufacturers will suggest 100,000 mile intervals. but by then you'll have a time removing the plugs also. the addage of not replacing them because it's not running bad is bad advice. I've had to pull cylinder heads on the 4.6, and the 5.4 because of frozen and broken spark plugs. there's a reason every good technician will put anti-seize on spark plugs when he replaces them......

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I would like to take the time to thank you for your post Mark. Very infomative and on the book. Thanks!!

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    mark, i was going to say basically the same things on both of those vehicles, we see alot of them in the shop. Reload, watch those plugs you dont wanna go too long changing them out, it's a pain if you break one off, you might have to tap the head:crazy: And I can get you coil on plugs way cheaper if you need them dont spend too much, I can get them for way cheaper than that including freight:wink:

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good afternoon, Mark took the words right outta my mouth !!!:wink:, I'm a Certified Master Auto Tech & I'll put my $$$ on a ruptured fuel pressure regulator. While the Mass Air flow meter may be @ fault, it has more control/effect when the vehicle is in closed loop operation (warmed up).

Many of the better spark plugs out there now come with an anti-corrosion plating on them because spark plug to cylinder head breakage is so common.

If you have an AutoZone near you, they'll scan it for free, PM me with the results & I'll help you out best as I can, Elliot:big_smile:

10. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I think im gonna have to pay to have it scanned, the autozone is 95 and up, mine is a 94. One stupid year, right now I got a ride but ill have to do something soon and ill let ya know the results when i get it scanned. im gonna check the maf senson and the cat first, Thanks everybody!!!!!

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Afternoon, YES, the birthday year of your vehicle has a pre OBD-2 diagnostic system, which has MUCH less to offer the technician as far as information goes than the later system. Before you pay anyone to scan it, check the pressure regulator yourself :wink:.

Get back with me & we'll GET-R-DONE:smile2:

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    key on engine off fuel pressure spec is 35-45

key on engine running is: 28-45 psi

the schrader valve along with the fpr are beside each other and are on the passenger side of the engine between the upper and lower intake.

The schrader valve (where you connect your fp gauge) looks like a tire valve... and unless someone took it off, should have a tire valve lookin' plastic cap on it.

I think by your desciption the other guys are steerin' ya in the right direction... your not gonna get a code for fuel pressure just maybe a rich or lean DTC picked up by the o2 if presures outta whack.
    You might be smellin' raw gas in the case of a "ruptured" reg.... don't get too far from home with it bro.

Attached Files:

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    oh yeah...you can get yourself a cheap gauge at autozone or someplace like that:wink:

14. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive been so busy lately I havent even thought about working on her. I may have to sacrifice the weekends fishing and start checking valves and sensors, did I mention there's a gun show this weekend too. :sad2::crazy: LOL Everything Ive been reading has been pointing me towards what you guys are saying, rich fuel, sensors or valves. The exhaust has dyed the driveway and grass black, pretty nasty. AND DR, it aint leaving the driveway for awhile. It died twice on the way to the grocery and three times on the way back, 5-6 miles total. That was the day I posted on here.

15. just a redneck

just a redneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    I had a chevy camero that did that and it turned out to be the fuel injecters i dont know that much about mechanics but i could fix it myself for just the part and a gaskit its easy to check and easy to fix with your truck i dont know how much easy it is to reach them but worth checking out, good luck