Not a 4x4 but it is a truck...

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by cantstopgrandma, Sep 16, 2008.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    My 1998 s10 4.3L 2wd has 78000mi and is having issues. Lets start from the beginning....since april I have:

-replaced serpentine belt, belt tensioner, and fan clutch
    -replaced intake manifold gaskets, fuel pressure regulator, thermostat, cap and rotor (intake leaking antifreeze, other items replaced while engine apart)
    -replace water pump, radiator, and oil cooler line (all leaking)
    -replaced fuel pump and fuel filter
    -replaced plugs and wires.

I am at witts end with this truck. I would love to push it off a cliff, but i cant afford to replace it. Now to the problem: I have what I would call a "miss" or "stutter". This problem usually occurs at speeds above 40mph. and at constant speed, but has occured accelerating from a stop a few times. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. If i have the truck in "3" instead of Overdrive, it gets worse. I have only had it throw a code once, and that was the "random multiple misfire" code. I found the fuel pump was low on pressure after this problem started and replaced it. I replaced to plugs because they were originals, and figured it couldn't hurt. Does anybody have any suggestions? This "miss" started several months after doing the intake, so i really dont think that has anything to do with it and spraying 2+2 around the intake doesn't make the engine change speeds. There's so many sensors and electronics on these engines i'm at a loss on where to start.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I have a 97 4x4 S-10 4.3 Blazer with 200,000 miles on it.
    It's had one heater core replaced and 2 intake gaskets and a radiator.

There is a known problem with the gaskets.
    It's not the gasket itself it's the coolant causing the problem.
    There is a class action lawsuit pending this coolant on GM vehicles prior to 2000 I believe. Save your receipts and file on the lawsuit.

The coolant has been changed but stick to the red stuff or risk screwing up the aluminum.

Your skip may not be engine. I would gamble to say it's tranny.
    Mine would seem to skip once inawhile and on a cold start wouldn't shift into overdrive until I had gone a few miles.
    Kinda of hard to explain but it was in and out of overdrive like a machine gun firing rate. I ignored it knowing I had 157,000 miles on the vehicle and knew it would come to a rebuild eventually.
    It did. Turned a corner and blew out first overdrive and reverse.
    Loud screeching noise when I tried to drive it. Got it to the mechanic in 4 wheel drive with no problem and no noise. I just had to take it easy.

My local mechanic rebuilt and replaced all the parts I broke in the tranny for 1400.

One thing easily overlooked in transmissions is cooling. They are dependent on the radiator. If the old coolant was run in the radiator and it's gunked up or the vehicle has been run hot then the transmission has been subjected to overheating.
    Heat is the number one enemy of the automatic transmission.

Other then that the vehicle has been great. It's been well cared for and maintained. Replacing something here and there is alot better then a car payment.

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i can tell ya your first problem...ITS A CHEVY!!! LOL:wink::smile2:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The same could be said about any other manufacturer.
    Personally I wouldn't own a Ford.
    They all have their shoddy product recalls and problems that lead to class action lawsuits.

Ford has had their share lately.

The key to any vehicle starts with the owner. Taking care of it and maintaining it religiously. I get lax at times myself but i fully realize I am putting the operability of the vehicle at risk.
    Read the owner's manual. If it says to change the gear oil at 5000 miles there is a reason. Change it. I doubt many people would or do but I can tell you who would. Me.

Half of my job involves preventative maintenance. I can tell you, it works!
    Some things come up that are beyond the control of the maintainer for whatever reason or cause by someone else or something like in the case of the coolant problems. Once the issue is revealed, address the problem with a full frontal assault. If a radiator is suspect, replace it without question. Dont doctor on it.

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i have a 97 explorer sport 4x4,got it with 130,000 some miles on it.haven't done much of anything to it,and it runs great still.i have over 160000 on it now.it all depends on how you take care of your vehicles,unless,like mark said,the unfortunate things that pop up.

6. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    Mark, the transmission is the first thing I thought of too, however with the "random multiple misfires" code coming up while it was stuttering, I'm not so sure.

I agree with everyone on the preventative maintenance. This truck has however had a hard life. I got it as a senior in high school, and you know how teenagers are on vehicles. Especially when i found out it would burn tires very easily, and was faster than a lot of the other vehicles at school :roll_eyes:. I do not drive like that anymore, but any damage has already been done. I also only live a mile from work and in town, so the short trips dont help matters either. I have been riding my bicycle to work lately, and Me and the truck are both better off for it. Keep the ideas coming.

7. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California

I'm not familiar with this engine. Does it have a distributor or coil pack?
    Is it a dead misfire or is it intermittent? Since there is no codes present I am guessing that it's intermittent. You can apply the brake and accelerate in gear to the point your tires want to break traction. This will load the engine without the vehicle moving. Or you can try and drive it around in a low gear to bring the RPM's up. This might help to set a code.
    Has it been acting up since the day the intake manifold gasket was replaced?
    Do you own a code scanner? You may have a code that requires more than one incident in a predetermined drive cycle to illuminate the Check Engine Light. Just because the light isn't on doesn't mean there isn't a code stored. If you don't own one. I would suggest investing in one ASAP. Mac tools has an affordable reader/eraser for around $60. It's well worth the price!

8. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    SOUNDS LIKE AN IGNITION PROB TO ME, I WOULD RUN IT AFTER DARK WITH HOOD UP AND GET A SPRAY BOTTLE OF WATER SPRAY ALL PLUG WIRES AND COIL WIRE, AND WATCH FOR ARCING, JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NEW DOESNT MEAN THEY ARE GOOD LOOK TO SEE IF ANY ARE CLOSE TO EXHAUST MANIFOLDS ALSO, HOPE THIS HELPS IF YOU WERE CLOSER ID LOOK AT IT FOR YOU

9. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Ok if it primarily started after you had intake work done then check the ECM grounds which are located on one of the rear intake bolts. Many times the ground wires will either not be hooked up or they are left loose and it will cause an intermitant misfire especially with the multiple misfire codes present.

10. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    you really want to know how to fix the problem? sell it and buy a ford :wink:

11. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    Truck has a distributor. This problem started several months after the intake was done. I can use the code scanner at work. I'm pretty sure it isn't the plugs and wires because this problem started before the fuel pump and plugs and wires were replaced. I found that the fuel pump was low on pressure while trying to diagnose this problem, and did the plugs and wires to see if it would fix my problem (at 78k miles and 10 years, i figured they were due anyways).

12. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    yep it's a chevy thats the problem.........lol