not 2 bad for a cull buck... he-he.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by baitchunker, Jan 26, 2009.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i killed this one last sat. morning. i was slow stalking on a slight ridge that seperates 2 swamps. i had stopped to watch a family of coons bickering with each other inside of a hollow oak tree.

i crept up a little farther and saw 4 yearlings and a spike standing in a small food plot. i thought it was strange they didnt have any does with them. i watched and looked for about 10 min. when i decided the does must be in estrous, getting run down by all of the bucks. no sooner had the thought crossed my mind than i saw a doe run by with a small 6 point right on her butt. i watched them play hide and seek for a while, when a pretty nice 8 point joined in the chase. he was probably about 14-15 inches wide with decent brow tines. i watched him chase for a little bit, and i finally figured i might as well shoot him.

when i brought my gun up, the doe saw me and stopped, stomped, and blew (sounds like a dirty joke, right?). when she did, this dude stood up from a tree top in front of me and went after the doe-chasing the other 2 bucks off in the process. the woods are pretty thick there and i was dizzy just from seeing him. i stood up to get a better shot, and he bolted. turns out i made a horrible shot (even though i am pretty good most of the time) the bullet went in the left ham, and out the right ham. no arteries, no bones. instead of waiting and going to where he was standing when i shot, i started chasing him like a dumb redneck. im pretty sure you could have clocked me doing a 4.3 4o yard dash. i tried to cut him off from the heart of the swamp, following mainly the sound of him blasting through the briars and palmetto bushes. i cought a glimpse of his tail as he turned and i shot again, while still running. i never even saw my crosshairs. i got lucky though.

the shot went right below his heart. it looked like a surgeon had sliced open his brisket. he kept running, and i kept chasing. in about another hundred yards i cleared a down tree like a hurtle and the doe was standing right there not 20 feet away. i felt miserable... i thought for sure i had not only missed him, twice- but that i had also chased him into the next county.i looked down and he was right by my feet. with his heart half hanging out of his chest.

when the guest i had dropped of at the closest stand finally met me at the kabota, he said "a good guide would have seen him and come and got me, so i could shoot it." i told him "i aint no good guide."

here he is, a 7 point with an 18 and a half inch inside spred. he weighed about 190. he's no world class monster, but he is my pb. i just wish both sides of his rack were matching. not bad for a south alabama swamp deer.

i am having him mounted in the full sneak, with a slight left turn.

Attached Files:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice buck,JD Never understood the reason behind cull deer,shoot to me theyre all good.:wink:

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I bet it will be tasty!:wink:

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Nice buck, congrats on the pb....

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats to you chunk. Wish our season wasn't closed. I'm getting cabin fever bad.

6. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Cull Buck? I would'nt mind it a bit if something like that around here stepped out:smile2: Nice Buck J.D

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice Buck....I would've shot him too!!!!!!:cool2:

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good un JD. See that Marine training did ya some good didn't it. When you can practically outrun a buck them Muslims didn't have half a chance. LOL.

Congrats.

John.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice buck, JD! I shot one in the butt this year too...but luckily, it was DOA.

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats on your personal best; that's a great buck. I know you're proud. And I don't blame you a bit for having it mounted; it'll look great. My sweet husband had my personal best, a 7pt mounted last year. Sure am proud of it. Be sure & post pictures when the mount is done.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Nice buck, good shootin, If I shot one like that, I'd want snow to drag it out, kinda heavy.

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congrats J.D. , nice buck brother !!!!

13. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Yep I would have "culled" that one to! NICE deer!

14. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    That aint no cull buck, that's a fine buck any where you go.