northern Virginia lake catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by seagreen, Jun 19, 2006.

1. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    goodmorning ,
    I'm looking for lakes or rivers to fish for cats in Northern Virginia. I am new to the area and I have fished Algonkian Regional Park :angry: and Burke Lake :smile2: . Burke seemed to be well stocked with small channel cats that did not respond to chicken liver but ate up nightcrawlers. I would appreciate any input on good lakes and/or bait in the area. I live in Reston.

Thanks,
    C

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome to the BOC sea! While I cannot help you with the northern VA area, there will be many here that can.
    Just keep checking back here and you will find lots of response in no time.

3. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    hey Barb, while Im waiting on the VA people to jump on the post maybe u can clear up something 4 me, When someone refers to Hearts as bait what are they talking about?

4. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    The potomac river is the best in the area hands down. For small fish 1-5 pounds there is whites ferry, edwards ferry, algonquian, riverbend, great falls, difficult run, scotts run, turkey run and a few other places in va. In maryland theres carderock, little falls through chain bridge anywhere off the c&o towpath, and fletchers in d.c. Most of these spots you will do better wet wading, drift your bait under a float through the eddys near rapids. Bottom fishing in most stretches it is all rock and you will get hung every time. In the fast water areas they feed more by sight anyhow. Be careful wading and in some areas DONT people die here every year.

For bigger fish 20-40 pounds you need to get to the lower potomac below fletchers on down to quantico. Hains point in d.c., Ft. washington in md., Jones point and Quantico marine base in va would be your best bet to catch them from shore. From a boat look for steep channel drops anywhere in this stretch and use cut shad.

Be aware that the potomac is not a virginia river technically, above chain bridge a va. license is valid but you need to follow md. regs. From chain bridge to the woodrow wilson bridge you need a d.c. license and d.c. regs. below ww bridge to the saltwater line (301 bridge) va license but follow prfc regs.

5. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    thanks for the advice, I went to burke lastnight inbetween storms my brother-n-law landed a nice cat. You are completely right about drift fishing, everytime I work the bottom I get hung up, Im use to catfishing in NC and NY where I can just wait it out on the bottom. :crazy: