Northern VA Farm Ponds

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by arync, May 4, 2008.

1. arync

arync New Member

State:
    virginia
    Can anyone tell me what type of Catfish are in these small to medium sized farm ponds and ponds that have condo's or townhouses built around them. They don't look like Channel cats, and they are definately not blues so what type of catfish are they?

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    They most likely are bullheads, which do not get much larger then a pound or so.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    What he said.

Welcome, Aryn, to the BOC. I know you're going to enjoy it here!

:0a25:

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA

Bait....Bait....Bait!

5. arync

arync New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks, they are bullheads I did a wiki search and thats exactly what they look like and are only about 1-2 lbs. I always wandered why we always catch the same size catfish and if any bigger ones were there.

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Bullheads are fun enough to catch, but I've heard that they aren't worth eating, and I haven't even tried.

Then again, if some folks will eat an eel, a 'possum, or a groundhog, I can't see why a bullhead would present a problem! :crazy:

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Joel,

Bullheads are fine tasting fish. Of course like any type of fish, where you catch it(quality of water) and how you cook it matters.

If you get a chance, keep some the next time you catch a few take him home, slap a little mustard on the fillets before dipping them in corn meal and flour.