Northern KY

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, May 18, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Howdy Boys

This site is awesome! I was interested in the "art" of catfishing the Ohio River and just happeded across this website...very nice.

Just a little information, I live about 10 miles from the OH river and have a 20 ft jon boat that I use for fishing and mainly duckhunting and since there doesnt seem to be many other things to do around here fishing wise I thought I would take up catfishing. Last year was the first time I have ever focused on catching cats, I got pretty good at getting bait (keeping them alive is a different story) but can't seem to figure out where to set my lines at, or at least what to look for on my depth finder for habitat. I am pretty new to the river fishing scene and I thought it would be simple since it is relatively narrow compared to a lake...boy was I wrong. I will keep searching the site for more tips but if anyone has any good tips regarding this part of the river (from Big Bone to the Little Miami I-275 bridge) I would be very grateful. BTW all fish are catch and release, I just can't get myself to eat a fish out of the river...guess I have seen too much garbage floating downstream:angry:

Since I am new here I don't know if this forum has a message feature but you can email me at sherlockhomes@fuse.net

Thanks and tight lines

Bill

2. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Bill, let me be the first to welcome you to the BOC. This is the best site on the internet for knowledge of catfishing and for life in general. I live downstream from Louisville and can't wait for the Ohio to go down so I can get out on her again. Ask any questions and you will get good answers back. Check out other posts and the library, it sure has helped me and has taken my fishing to another level!!
    Good luck, take pics and post them, and be safe....
    Linda

3. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the boc. Are looking for channels,blues or flatheads?

4. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome aboard! I fish that stretch of river often, its one of my favorite stretches of river to fish. I do hunt it some but access is tough when the ramps in the creeks freeze up. Focus on the old river channel drop offs setup & fish the deep side if they are not there fish the shallow side, move around alot & keep trying you wont catch on overnight but youll get it. PM me with any questions I'll be glad to help...Abu65

5. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!:big_smile:

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Thanks guys,

I dont really care what variety of catfish I catch just want to bend the rod a few times, plus if I can guarantee a fish my wife would be more likely to come :wink:

Bill

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Bill!